Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I update my iOS whiles I have enough iCloud storage but my iPhone says I don’t have enough space.

Why can’t I update my iOS whiles I have enough iCloud storage but my iPhone says I don’t have enough space.

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 2:16 PM

Because iCloud storage is not available on your phone; it is not possible to buy more storage for an iPhone; it will never have more than it did when you bought it. What you bought is iCloud storage that is used for backing up and also for syncing to other devices. Here is an explanation→What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

iCloud has 2 independent functions. iCloud backups, and iCloud sync. It’s confusing because they both have the same name prefix. But they have no connection with each other. Go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud. You will see a bunch of switches. When you turn on a switch that data type will sync to iCloud. If you do this on multiple devices that share an Apple ID the selected data will sync to all of those devices. 

You can also turn on iCloud Backups. This will back up your phone every night if the phone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and locked.

But note that anything that you sync by the first method will be excluded from the iCloud backups.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 2:16 PM in response to steelkingg

Because iCloud storage is not available on your phone; it is not possible to buy more storage for an iPhone; it will never have more than it did when you bought it. What you bought is iCloud storage that is used for backing up and also for syncing to other devices. Here is an explanation→What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

iCloud has 2 independent functions. iCloud backups, and iCloud sync. It’s confusing because they both have the same name prefix. But they have no connection with each other. Go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud. You will see a bunch of switches. When you turn on a switch that data type will sync to iCloud. If you do this on multiple devices that share an Apple ID the selected data will sync to all of those devices. 

You can also turn on iCloud Backups. This will back up your phone every night if the phone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and locked.

But note that anything that you sync by the first method will be excluded from the iCloud backups.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.