Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streamlining a Late 2013 MacBook Pro

Hello Apple Community. I have a Late 2013 MacBook Pro that continues to serve me well, its only hardware problem apparently being a single bad pixel. I don't have a general speed problem with it, but there's seems to be something about it causing slow download speeds and pauses in videos with the house's wifi connection, which is working well with all the other devices in the house. Sometimes it will whip along at a couple of megabytes a second, but many other times it will slow down to a crawl and a download will take forever or I can't watch something.

I had previously suspected that a kernel_task showing in Activity Monitor was causing slowdowns, and I recently noticed that kernel_task was showing nearly 140 threads, which made it again seem a likely culprit. So I searched on <kernel_task "Activity Monitor" (threads OR GB)> and found a discussion at kernel task running at 110 threads - Apple Community in which someone found help in getting his 15" Retina MBP speeded up. I'm looking for the same kind of help, though in combination with a general project of clearing up disk space, which was recommended as a means of speeding up a Mac. I have a new 5TB Seagate disk that should enable this, but I want to do it in an optimal manner regarding partitioning and so forth.

There are too many questions involved to handle all of this in one fell swoop, so perhaps I can start with just formatting and partitioning the new 5TB disk. I have with a 500GB internal disk and a 1TB external disk divided into two 500GB partitions, one of which I use for a clone backup and the other for archiving. I've had a certain inclination to wipe the 1TB and use it for Time Machine (which I used to use but haven't for years, not having a big enough backup disk on hand), since it seems appropriately sized for that. But I don't think I'll do this, since with a 5TB disk I should be able to have both Time Machine connected and my archives online at the same time.

I like round numbers and simplicity, so how about dividing the 5TB into five 1TB partitions? This would be with one of these for the Time Machine backup, another for archived stuff that I could back up to the 1TB disk, and three that I don't need for anything. :-) OR it could be 1+1+3, or 1+1+1.5+1.5, or 1+1+2+1, or various other possibilities. Any suggestions?

In any event there's an unwelcome additional question of disk format. The Seagate quick start guide says, "For Time Machine, the hard drive must be formatted HFS+ for Mac." It's nice to be informed that I can't leave it in ExFAT (which I wouldn't have done anyway), but Disk Utility doesn't propose a single simple HFS+ format. I see that APSF is for MacOS 10.13 and up, and I'm on 10.14 Mojave with this 2013 MacBook Pro. I don't care about encryption or case sensitivity, so I suppose it's a choice between simple APSF and simple Mac OS Extended. APSF might be a safe guess even without an indication that it's HFS+ per the Seagate indication, but I want to act on the side of caution and so am following the advice of someone in the above-mentioned thread and asking first. I'll be getting into deletions later, but want to start off by making sure I have the 5TB disk optimally set up as regards partitions and format. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 10:00 AM

The bigger the Time Machine storage pool, the greater the depth of backups, and also works better when storage gets low and needs to be pruned. And the less rime managing partitioning, as partitions almost never stay the right size as usage changes.

Avoiding partitioning the same target for same-source backups is preferable. Lose one or corrupt one or fail one or drop one or get stolen one, lose all the backups. One HDD partitioned across multiple systems, with multiple HDD targets for those users, means more users might lose one backup, but nobody loses everything.

Too many folks that have lost too much data if (when?) partitioning becomes corrupted. Partitioning is not a panacea.

The Apple NAS box was Time Capsule.

The equivalent NAS storage now might be from Synology or another vendor, for those vendors offering NAS with Time Machine support. Synology offers some Wi-Fi routers with Time Machine, and which can provide a USB connection for that HDD you’re working with, as well as Wi-Fi.

This Mac installation is possibly headed for configuration simplification and for reinstallation, as some of the sorts of add-ons I’ve mentioned can either hook into macOS in ways indistinguishable from malware, or can introduce pernicious corruptions, or both. Cleaning out app accretion and cruft gets tedious on any computer, after a decade or more of use—and the Apple migration tools do work well.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 10:00 AM in response to roy_mccoy

The bigger the Time Machine storage pool, the greater the depth of backups, and also works better when storage gets low and needs to be pruned. And the less rime managing partitioning, as partitions almost never stay the right size as usage changes.

Avoiding partitioning the same target for same-source backups is preferable. Lose one or corrupt one or fail one or drop one or get stolen one, lose all the backups. One HDD partitioned across multiple systems, with multiple HDD targets for those users, means more users might lose one backup, but nobody loses everything.

Too many folks that have lost too much data if (when?) partitioning becomes corrupted. Partitioning is not a panacea.

The Apple NAS box was Time Capsule.

The equivalent NAS storage now might be from Synology or another vendor, for those vendors offering NAS with Time Machine support. Synology offers some Wi-Fi routers with Time Machine, and which can provide a USB connection for that HDD you’re working with, as well as Wi-Fi.

This Mac installation is possibly headed for configuration simplification and for reinstallation, as some of the sorts of add-ons I’ve mentioned can either hook into macOS in ways indistinguishable from malware, or can introduce pernicious corruptions, or both. Cleaning out app accretion and cruft gets tedious on any computer, after a decade or more of use—and the Apple migration tools do work well.

Mar 15, 2022 6:09 AM in response to roy_mccoy

Your Mac is 9 years old and considered "vintage" by Apple. For one thing, that means it's approaching its end of useful life and parts and service will be harder to get if they aren't already.

How much time and money do you want to spend on a vintage Mac? It's headed toward obsolesce and given 5 to 7 years is a pretty good productive run it's getting to the point where you will be needing a new, or newer, Mac. I'd consider it there already.

Mar 14, 2022 7:49 AM in response to roy_mccoy

EtreCheckPro version: 6.5.6 (6F041)

Report generated: 2022-03-13 22:51:41

Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 8:26

Performance: Below Average

Problem: Computer is too slow

Description:

Computer is not running particularly slow generally, but I'm getting pauses on videos and films, and slow downloads, that other devices on the same wifi in the same house aren't getting. Am hoping that cleaning out some junk and creating more free space on my disk will speed things up, thanks.

My apologies if I should have cleaned some things up on my own and rerun EtreCheck before posting. I could have dug out my old OS9 System Folder and moved it to the 5TB disk (or thrown it out), for example. It may be better to send the state of the Mac at the point where I was noting the problem, however, to avoid confusion from improvement that I might have made on my own.

I don't know why it says there's no Time Machine backup and that Time Machine isn't configured. Maybe it's because the 5TB partition with the recent Time Machine backup(s) wasn't connected when I ran the test. Anyway here's the report, and thanks again.

Mar 14, 2022 11:33 AM in response to roy_mccoy

This Mac has had various optimization and tweaking loaded, and has an accumulation of kexts for various apps loaded, and whether and what effect that might have is unclear.

It's also loaded—Office and Java and VirtualBox and Photoshop CS5 are not small. Games—Steam is loaded—can also consume substantial resources, too.

8 GB memory isn't doing any favors.

I'd temporarily remove the Bresink tooling, and the DNS proxy app, and OpenVPN*, as a test. Probably Opera, too. BitDefender and Avast, if any of that is still installed.

(*If OpenVPN is not being used to access the internal network of an organization you are associated with.)

If you don't need Oracle Java, remove it.

This looks like an old and overloaded Mac, and one with a few too many tweaks (keyboard and mouse and such, and with security updates off) and with too many kexts loaded for my own preference.

This looks like you've been hammering on performance-related topics for a while too, have loaded various tools seeking to find issues and to improve performance, and (we're here, so...) haven't achieved the performance gains sought. Most of which is probably due to the 8 GB memory configuration, given the current system load.

You're probably headed for a reinstallation to clear up all of what's still installed, as the most expedient way to deal with old system-entwined apps, and any potential corruptions. Not that I suspect that will help all that much with performance, given the load and given 8 GB memory.

If you do decide to replace this with an M1 Mac, go for 16 GB, minimally. Consider 32 GB, given both your usage trends, and given the length of time you keep your Macs. Unified memory on M1 and SSD on M1 is all faster than what you have, but apps and macOS are only going to get larger. And an M1 Mac cannot be upgraded. (It's possible to upgrade the SSD with the MacBook Pro 2013 in use here, but that would be for added capacity and is unlikely to help with performance.)

If SuperDuper! isn't already running on a schedule, I'd get that going or get Time Machine going to external storage—Time Machine is probably disabled given how loaded this Mac is, but your data is undoubtedly valuable to you, and periodic snapshots can be neglected and which can mean data loss. And old hardware fails.

And for completeness, your battery is probably failing, and that can sometimes effect performance; you're past the usual cycle count.

Mar 15, 2022 5:56 AM in response to roy_mccoy

roy_mccoy wrote:

I'm having trouble uninstalling things – for example possible TinkerTool auxiliary files – because Spotlight isn't finding a lot of things. This has been a recurring problem for a while. Everything is checked in System Preferences except Mail & Messages, and there isn't anything under Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations. Is the trick to have it not search your main disk and then delete the main disk from the Prevent list? I added it just now and immediately deleted it so I could find and delete Smart DNS Proxy VPN.app, which I did though I don't know how it could make any difference if I never open it. Likewise BitDefender. I only deleted the app file on both of these.

Corruptions are possible here, as this is an old install and you’re reporting some misbehaviors consistent with corruptions, and as there have seemingly been system-modifying apps installed over time and some of these sorts of apps have corrupted the macOS environment for some folks.

The Spotlight index can be rebuilt manually, and a corrupt Spotlight index can cause other issues including with other areas such as app updates. The Spotlight index is also rebuilt during a reinstallation, unsurprisingly.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Opera is my main browser, so I'm leaving it at least for the time being. I guess I can try to use Chrome exclusively for a while and see how that goes, but all my bookmarks are in Opera.

Chrome and the rest of the Google apps are not light. Far from it.

I can't find the OpenVPN app. I find these files, but only on my backup disk:
You say I'm probaby headed for a reinstallation, though it may not help much. I can try that after doing a clone backkup, though I don't know how long it will take with the not-particularly-stellar Internet connection here. This would be cmd-opt-r on restart, I suppose – anything else I should know on this?

Usual re-install is entirely local, and either from a clone or from a Time Machine backup.

I’d prefer to have a couple of backups here too, as I’ve seen both backup mistakes (whoops. wrong direction) and hardware failures happen, and one copy can become no backups far too quickly. Either two or more clones or pair of TM, or a mix.

Time Machine runs whenever the new 5TB disk is connected, but I've always run SuperDuper! manually and don't know if I want to do that differently. What I might do is make a weekly Calendar reminder (often enough for me, particularly with Time Machine running) and try to be disciplined about always answering the call.

It;s your data. TM runs itself, a d generally works pretty well. With infrequent backups, data is exposed longer. TM gets multiple copies of your files, as they change. With Clones, you can potentially end up with one. Or zero, if the source fails during re-generation of the sole target. I’m not sure how you’re running SuperDuper! here. Rotating clones is a fine strategy, but re-generating one clone using the same target storage for the clone each time, not so much—if something fails mid-clone, you’re in deep sneakers.

Speaking of Calendar, it's been reminding me every morning for months to buy a new Mac. This is a good bit more awkward than doing a backup, out here in the Costa Rican boonies with the nearest Apple Store three and a half hours away if I had a car. But I guess I can do it over the Internet straight from Apple.

M1 is more power efficient, which might help (somewhat) here.

Apple often offers an in-store pickup option, which might have some advantages here.

You're right, the battery may be going even though I had a new one put in two years ago. It's showing 1094 cycles with 1000 apparently being the normal max.

That’s heavy computer usage and battery usage for ~two years. Macs are reliable and do usually last a while, but that’s harder usage than most. And that on a Mac itself nearly a decade old.

Mar 5, 2022 8:24 AM in response to roy_mccoy

I've found an answer to my question about disk format at https://www.seagate.com/manuals/backup-plus-portable/optional-formatting-and-partitioning/:

"APFS (Apple File System)—An Apple file system optimized for solid state drives (SSDs) and flash-based storage systems. While you can format your hard disk drive (HDD) in APFS, performance may be degraded when files on the drive are routinely subjected to extensive editing (for example, large-scale image, video, audio, and music editing). Note the following restrictions:

You cannot use an APFS-formatted disk as your Time Machine backup drive. Format Backup Plus Ultra Touch to HFS+ if you intend to use it with Time Machine."

This leaves the single immediate question of partitioning. I'll go with 1+1+1+1+1 unless someone recommends otherwise.

Mar 5, 2022 8:29 AM in response to roy_mccoy

Download and run EtreCheck and share the results ro the clipboard. Then open a new reply here, and press the button that looks like a printed page to get an additional text box big enough to,paste the hardware and software configuration report here, and paste that report here.

Usual suspects are add-on anti-malware apps, add-on cleaner apps, add-on VPN client apps, or similar. Or that this is nearly a decade old, and is getting comparatively slow.

Lots of threads are normal. Kernel task is the operating system and related activities.

Not a huge fan of partitioning devices, due to the failure modes, and the hassles. There are cases where I would partition, but it’s not my first choice. Let APFS deal with that, and with the necessary partitions.

I’d tend to skip installing any add-on Seagate apps, save those apps specifically for diagnostics if and when that’s necessary, and there are usually other ways to get diagnostic data. HFS+ macOS Extended journaled or APFS would be typical here, depending on your goals.

Partitions are a somewhat risky approach for multiple backups, as one failure or one corruption can clobber all. Use multiple separate devices for better resilience, and not partitions. When they fail, SSDs tend to fail catastrophically, while HDDs tend to fail somewhat more slowly and incrementally.

The Time Machine target is usually best two or three or four times the size of the source device.

If you have the budget for it, Network Attached Storage (NAS) with Time Machine Support is preferable when working with a portable device, as the backups will operate while the laptop is in range of the Wi-Fi, and not just when connected directly to the backup device.

Generally… Lots of questions in one post tends to gets tangled, and questions get missed, or questions and answers can get confusing.

Mar 5, 2022 9:22 AM in response to MrHoffman

Amazing reply especially considering its speed, many thanks.

Will do EtreCheck as indicated. I don't remember having heard of it before reading the kernel-task thread, but I see how he did it.

I've had all of your usual suspects: Avast, MacKeeper, ExpressVPN, etc. I know there's plenty of junk on my disk and I'd like to just wipe everything and start off with a clean slate. I'm afraid I'd lose something I want to keep if I did that, however. My old Adobe software might not work anymore, for example, and I don't have any installation disks (or a CD drive if I did).

I've recently noted good performance with the same number of threads in kernel_task. %CPU has varied between 2.?? and 9.98.

Have noted your comments on partitioning and will keep them in mind, but am still too attracted to the idea of having Time Machine and archives always connected at the same time (except when I'm not at the desk), so will partition using 2(max 4x for Time Machine though not needed)+.5(archive to be occasionally backed up to 1TB Seagate; see below on clone backup)+2.5(for 2.5TB of unbacked-up junk I'm willing to lose?).

Haven't installed any of the Seagate apps or accepted any of their offers.

Will be using separate disks for backups: new 5TB for Time Machine and the old 1TB for backing up from a partition on the 5TB. But wait a minute: I'll still want a clone backup, right? In that case I'll follow your advice and keep the (SuperDuper!) clone backup on the 1TB Seagate as till now and the Time Machine backup on the new 5TB. This will mean I can only back up 500GB from the 5TB to the 1TB.

I'll never fill a 2TB partition with Time Machine backups from my 500GB disk, but I guess that's what you get a big disk for, not having to worry about running out of space. Plus I don't have any anticipated use for all the extra space, so why not give some of it to Time Machine.

I've never heard of NAS and it sounds interesting, but I'm retired in a remote area of Costa Rica and so don't have immediate access to a lot of hardware, nor do I need constant backup since I'm not working.

Yes, keep it simple! I tried to do that here and I don't think there are any complications at the moment, or that any reply to this is necessary. Will send the EtreCheck report soon, thanks again.

Mar 14, 2022 8:06 PM in response to MrHoffman

Many thanks for this. Replying in the order of your comments:

Yes, it's got a lot of junk on it. We may not know exactly what the effect of it all is, but it's certainly not good.

I've deleted Oracle Java and VirtualBox, but left Office and Adobe CS5 – also Steam, which I never open but am keeping because if I get new Mac I'll be able to play Quern, which I bought but it doesn't work on my model and I missed the return period by a day or two. I suppose I could re-download Steam later, but I don't think it matters since I presently never open it.

More RAM wouldn't hurt, no.

I'm having trouble uninstalling things – for example possible TinkerTool auxiliary files – because Spotlight isn't finding a lot of things. This has been a recurring problem for a while. Everything is checked in System Preferences except Mail & Messages, and there isn't anything under Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations. Is the trick to have it not search your main disk and then delete the main disk from the Prevent list? I added it just now and immediately deleted it so I could find and delete Smart DNS Proxy VPN.app, which I did though I don't know how it could make any difference if I never open it. Likewise BitDefender. I only deleted the app file on both of these.

Opera is my main browser, so I'm leaving it at least for the time being. I guess I can try to use Chrome exclusively for a while and see how that goes, but all my bookmarks are in Opera.

I can't find the OpenVPN app. I find these files, but only on my backup disk:

org.openvpn.client_framework.pkg.bom

org.openvpn.client_framework.pkg.plist

org.openvpn.client_launch.pkg.bom

org.openvpn.client_launch.pkg.plist

org.openvpn.client_uninstall.pkg.bom

org.openvpn.client_uninstall.pkg.plist

org.openvpn.client.pkg.bom

org.openvpn.client.pkg.plist

org.openvpn.client.plist

org.openvpn.helper_framework.pkg.bom

org.openvpn.helper_framework.pkg.plist

org.openvpn.helper_launch.pkg.bom

org.openvpn.helper_launch.pkg.plist

org.openvpn.helper.plist

I suppose I can dig these out using the locations shown on the backup disk even though Spotlight isn't finding them for me on my main disk, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. It would probably be more worth my time to try to get my Spotlight index back in shape.

I found an uninstaller for Oracle Java and ran that.

"Old and overloaded", that sounds about right.

You say I'm probaby headed for a reinstallation, though it may not help much. I can try that after doing a clone backkup, though I don't know how long it will take with the not-particularly-stellar Internet connection here. This would be cmd-opt-r on restart, I suppose – anything else I should know on this?

I'd be happy to go for 32GB on a new Mac, but I think I want another 13" with the same screen resolution and those only go to 16GB if I read the info right. That would be twice what I have now, at least.

Time Machine runs whenever the new 5TB disk is connected, but I've always run SuperDuper! manually and don't know if I want to do that differently. What I might do is make a weekly Calendar reminder (often enough for me, particularly with Time Machine running) and try to be disciplined about always answering the call.

Speaking of Calendar, it's been reminding me every morning for months to buy a new Mac. This is a good bit more awkward than doing a backup, out here in the Costa Rican boonies with the nearest Apple Store three and a half hours away if I had a car. But I guess I can do it over the Internet straight from Apple.

You're right, the battery may be going even though I had a new one put in two years ago. It's showing 1094 cycles with 1000 apparently being the normal max.

Thanks again.

Mar 15, 2022 11:40 AM in response to ku4hx

I'll call this the correct answer. I booted into Recovery and was going to reinstall last night, but I saw it was going to install Big Sur rather than Mojave, so I would have had to go through one or perhaps several updates. I also later saw that reinstalling in this way would erase my entire disk – which wouldn't have been a tragedy since I'd just done a backup and had everything on two external disks as you advise, but there were big question marks and I was coming around to thinking that I'll just leave this old Mac the way it is, have it as a backup and an archive, and start afresh with a new model. I think I'll get the 14" with 32GB, as it weighs the same as this 13" and it won't be all that much of a problem to redo my window-positioning macros, etc. Many thanks again for your help on this.

Streamlining a Late 2013 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.