Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google complaining about "less secure" sign-in technology. Again. Still. This time they mean it, apparently.

I got an email from Google this week that said on May 30, 2022 I may lose access to apps that are using "less secure" sign-in technology. I've been getting "Security alerts" from them for years but hits seems like an escalation. I use Apple Mail app to access my gmail account on my iMac, iPad and iPhone. Do I need to actually do anything about this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 1:16 PM

I use gMail and have never had a warning or problem. You may want to check the security options at https://myaccount.google.com/security

Also, the following from Google support indicates that they are serious: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en#zippy=%2Cif-less-secure-app-access-is-on-for-your-account%2Cupdate-your-app-or-operating-system%2Cuse-an-app-password

It isn't clear to me why I'm not having an issue or warning when using Mail as I don't remember using anything more than my username and password when setting up gMail in the Mail app (which they indicate is an issue with Apple Device sign ins in the above article) -- but I may have. You may want to see if you have Google set up in Apple menu > System Preferences > Internet Accounts. (and possibly try signing out and back in if you do)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 1:16 PM in response to bill.robertson

I use gMail and have never had a warning or problem. You may want to check the security options at https://myaccount.google.com/security

Also, the following from Google support indicates that they are serious: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en#zippy=%2Cif-less-secure-app-access-is-on-for-your-account%2Cupdate-your-app-or-operating-system%2Cuse-an-app-password

It isn't clear to me why I'm not having an issue or warning when using Mail as I don't remember using anything more than my username and password when setting up gMail in the Mail app (which they indicate is an issue with Apple Device sign ins in the above article) -- but I may have. You may want to see if you have Google set up in Apple menu > System Preferences > Internet Accounts. (and possibly try signing out and back in if you do)

Mar 9, 2022 5:15 PM in response to FoxFifth

This doesn't address the issue. I would like to know the same thing. When using iOS native email app with gmail, you use IMAP and it only requires login and password. So when Google turns that ability off May 30th, our native apps won't work. It would be nice to know if Apple has a plan. I have turned off Less Secure Apps today at Google. But it is clear by the Google article you referenced, we can work on our iPhones May 30th. But what happens then? Is there a plan at Apple? This feels like Google trying to FORCE us to use their app. Maybe it is time to stop using gmail instead. I appreciate being kept safe, but there needs to be an option made for Apple users and other 3rd party apps we LIKE to use!!!!

Mar 5, 2022 1:26 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks for your reply. I've been getting occasional "security alerts" from google for years. I presumed it was because I was using my iMac and iPad and iPhone all to access the same gmail account.

There are apparently a ton of threads on this issue and they all basically say the same thing, which is to delete the account in the mail app and then re-add it. I'm always wary of doing anything that tells me to delete something to fix it. (I've been working with computers too long.) But I decided to go ahead and try this on one of my devices to see how it went. And as far as I can tell it seems to be ok. I'll give it a couple of days before I do it one my other devices though.

What I wonder is, what does this do in regard to Google's penchant for keeping track of everything. Probably too late to worry about that I guess.

Google complaining about "less secure" sign-in technology. Again. Still. This time they mean it, apparently.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.