Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My captured screenshots do not display the actual image on my desktop

Hi. Up until Friday, when I took a screenshot, it captured the image on my desktop, actually showing a thumbnail of the image. Since Friday, all I see is the default PNG thumbnail, so I have to click into every image to actually see what the image is. Is this due to an upgrade and can I revert to having the actual image displayed as the thumbnail on my desktop, not just the default png image.

Many thanks

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 8:59 AM

Dom1495 wrote:

Hi. Up until Friday, when I took a screenshot, it captured the image on my desktop, actually showing a thumbnail of the image. Since Friday, all I see is the default PNG thumbnail, so I have to click into every image to actually see what the image is. Is this due to an upgrade and can I revert to having the actual image displayed as the thumbnail on my desktop, not just the default png image.
Many thanks

If you highlight a a screenshot sitting on your desktop—Command J will open the Desktop options>Show Preview

toggle that option ...

if no insight or resolve you can try:

—open View options on Desktop and increased the size of the icon to max and decreased it and then they show up.

and /or

—From the Activity Monitor.app, search for by name process called "com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent," force quit that process, and relaunch the Finder >Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

Preview User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 8:59 AM in response to Dom1495

Dom1495 wrote:

Many thanks

If you highlight a a screenshot sitting on your desktop—Command J will open the Desktop options>Show Preview

toggle that option ...

if no insight or resolve you can try:

—open View options on Desktop and increased the size of the icon to max and decreased it and then they show up.

and /or

—From the Activity Monitor.app, search for by name process called "com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent," force quit that process, and relaunch the Finder >Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

Preview User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Mar 6, 2022 10:37 AM in response to Dom1495

Dom1495 wrote:

Hi Leroydouglas

Steps 1 and 2 weren't an option, but I got to your suggestion re Activity Monitor which has worked a treat. I didn't know about this so will keep it for future reference.

Thank you so much :-))

Have a great. day.

Kindest regards
dom1495

Thanks Dom1495 for your feedback— it sounds like it solved your problem.

My captured screenshots do not display the actual image on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.