Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to I connect my old mac mini to a monitor. It is maybe first generation.

I have an old mac mini I'd like to get music and photos off of. How do I connect a monitor? The port on the back is so different I'm not sure what to do. Is there an adapter? Do I have to buy a new monitor?

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 9:35 AM

Thanks, Nanlouise.. here’s the info on your Mac Mini… it’s DVI… see link… https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_cd_1.83-specs.html.. here’s a chart showing what each connector looks like…

so you’d need DVI on one end and either HDMI/displayport/mini-displayport on the other end…

john b

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2022 9:35 AM in response to Nanlouise

Thanks, Nanlouise.. here’s the info on your Mac Mini… it’s DVI… see link… https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_cd_1.83-specs.html.. here’s a chart showing what each connector looks like…

so you’d need DVI on one end and either HDMI/displayport/mini-displayport on the other end…

john b

Mar 7, 2022 5:11 AM in response to Nanlouise

Hi, Nanlouise, maybe i can help you… use the above helpful link to identify what model + year of mac mini you have or look somewhere on the outside of the mac mini which will have the model number .. it probably starts with “A”… go to everymac.com and type that info into the search window. It’ll come up with the specs for yoyr mac mini, including video output. You might need an adapter cable… but you probably don’t need to buy a new monitor

john b

Mar 7, 2022 8:53 AM in response to Johnb-one

john b

A11176 is on the back of my Mini. Can't find information on this old a Mini.

I think I bough it in 2006

My Monitor was purchased during that same time period.

I used to have an apple adapter. A small white connector with a female on the monitor side and a male side to connect to the Mini.

I can't seem to find one like it.

How to I connect my old mac mini to a monitor. It is maybe first generation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.