Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thin, colored, flickering horizontal lines on Macbook Pro

My Macbook Pro 2018 has been having thin, colored horizontal lines on desktop, preview, and colored apps and webpages etc, but not white. On some white pages, you can see the lines at the bottom on the toolbar, but not higher. Sometimes there is a mild flicker on white pages, too. This occurred, immediately after I downloaded photos to Photos. I have attached a few images. Any idea what the problem could be? Thank you.

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 12:30 PM

6 replies

Mar 6, 2022 7:19 PM in response to CJS_94

The Display Assembly is what many people may call the "lid". It is the part of the laptop you open which contains the display. For many laptops the Display Assembly contains the LCD Panel (part which shows the image), glass, camera, sometimes a WiFi antenna, and the rear housing which holds all these components together.

The LCD Panel and cables in the Display Assembly are very thin and fragile. Sometimes they can just fail, but many times they can become damaged from bumps or pressure on the laptop and/or display when carrying it or when it is in a carrying bag. I don't see any cracks in the glass or LCD Panel nor do I see any dents on the corners of the display.

You can confirm the built-in Display is bad by connecting an external display and enable "mirroring". If the problem appears only on the laptop's built-in display, then you have confirmed the laptop's built-in Display Assembly is bad. If the issue appears on both the internal and external displays, then you have some other issue (could be Logic Board or software).

Mar 6, 2022 7:39 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you, for all the information. Unfortunately, I do not have an external display. It definitely does not have scratches or damage to the external screen or outer lid. I just find it weird that I was uploading photos, finished, closed the-laptop, then opened it and saw the colored lines. My first thought was that it was something with Photos, but even when apple is starting, because that screen color is dark, you see the lines.

Mar 7, 2022 4:58 AM in response to CJS_94

Usually anything on the screen before logging in is due to a hardware issue.

You can also take a screenshot, but when you view the screenshot make sure to move the picture off center a bit so that you can be sure you are viewing the picture and not just seeing the lines on the screen that were there before you took the picture. I don't think you will see any lines on the picture which means the laptop's Display Assembly is bad.

Thin, colored, flickering horizontal lines on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.