Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to transfer data from old iMac to a mac mini m1?

how does one transfer all the data over from old iMac 2008 to a mac mini m1?

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 2:49 PM

Hello,

Which OS version are you running on the old iMac? New, I think it would have been in the Yosemite or El Capitan range so both the iMac and Mac mini would need to be one the same Wi-Fi network and near each other to transfer wirelessly. Below I coped the pre-transfer information from the article you asked this question from. If you have tried it unsuccessfully I think steps 3 or 4 could be to blame.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

"Get ready

1. Install all available software updates on both computers. If your old Mac isn't using OS X Lion or later, and your new Mac isn't using OS X Mavericks or later, follow the Mountain Lion migration steps instead.
  2. If both computers are using macOS Sierra or later, place them near each other with Wi-Fi  turned on. If either one is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, make sure that both are on the same network.
  3. On your old Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Sharing. Make sure that a name appears in the Computer Name field.
  4. If you installed antivirus or firewall software on either Mac, turn that software off until after migration is complete."

I hope this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 2:49 PM in response to dcameragirl

Hello,

Which OS version are you running on the old iMac? New, I think it would have been in the Yosemite or El Capitan range so both the iMac and Mac mini would need to be one the same Wi-Fi network and near each other to transfer wirelessly. Below I coped the pre-transfer information from the article you asked this question from. If you have tried it unsuccessfully I think steps 3 or 4 could be to blame.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

"Get ready

1. Install all available software updates on both computers. If your old Mac isn't using OS X Lion or later, and your new Mac isn't using OS X Mavericks or later, follow the Mountain Lion migration steps instead.
  2. If both computers are using macOS Sierra or later, place them near each other with Wi-Fi  turned on. If either one is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, make sure that both are on the same network.
  3. On your old Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Sharing. Make sure that a name appears in the Computer Name field.
  4. If you installed antivirus or firewall software on either Mac, turn that software off until after migration is complete."

I hope this helps.

Mar 6, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Scott-he-him

reason for intended purchase of mac mini would be to use the old iMac as the screen/monitor, along with the keyboard and mouse. without mac mini being connected to a monitor, unsure how any of the selections to migrate could occur,without getting another monitor, just to do the transfer. would a transfer even be necessary? have been told by apple techs, using the old iMac with the mac mini is possible, but do not want all data wiped out or lost,; yes i do have an external hd for back up now. i know some have gutted the old iMacs and put in the mac mini, but that is not my intention.

how to transfer data from old iMac to a mac mini m1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.