Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I didn't sign out of icloud before I erased my old device

I'm about to trade in my iPhone 7 and followed the steps to erase my device so I can return it, however I didn't sign out of iCloud before erasing. Is this an issue?

iPhone 7

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 7:25 AM

Welcome 1965_22_22,

It sounds like you forgot to sign out your iPhone 7 from Find My before erasing it. We'll do our best to assist.

For this, you'll want to take these steps: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the steps above weren't completed and you no longer have your device, use these steps:
1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.

These steps should help to remove the device from your account, so you can send it in.

Wishing you well, take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2022 7:25 AM in response to 1965_22_22

Welcome 1965_22_22,

It sounds like you forgot to sign out your iPhone 7 from Find My before erasing it. We'll do our best to assist.

For this, you'll want to take these steps: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the steps above weren't completed and you no longer have your device, use these steps:
1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.

These steps should help to remove the device from your account, so you can send it in.

Wishing you well, take care.

I didn't sign out of icloud before I erased my old device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.