Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I backup 2 external hard drives to 2 different external hard drives with time machine for both?

The question explains itself. Currently I have my 12tb hard drive backed up to another 12tb hard drive through time machine. I just bought 2 more 12tb hard drives because I ran out of space, and I now want to do the same thing with them. I run the type of video business where every job I've ever done needs to have easy access to editing because lots of our work is with ongoing clients. That's why simply having an archive won't do. Each of the 2 main 12tb hard drives will need to be accessed regularly and will also need to have regular time machine backups to each ones backup drive. How can I do this?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 9:04 PM

Each of the 2 main 12tb hard drives will need to be accessed regularly and will also need to have regular time machine backups to each ones backup drive. How can I do this?

With Carbon Copy Cloner, or some other backup app or service.

Time Machine doesn't back up drives. It backs up your Mac. If your Mac has external drives, it will back up those, too. Everything will be backed up to the single set of backup drives.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2022 9:04 PM in response to szk613

Each of the 2 main 12tb hard drives will need to be accessed regularly and will also need to have regular time machine backups to each ones backup drive. How can I do this?

With Carbon Copy Cloner, or some other backup app or service.

Time Machine doesn't back up drives. It backs up your Mac. If your Mac has external drives, it will back up those, too. Everything will be backed up to the single set of backup drives.

How can I backup 2 external hard drives to 2 different external hard drives with time machine for both?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.