Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is a download of Catalina hanging?

I'm trying to download Catalina to upgrade a MBP from Mojave, and the download won't complete.

In the App Store, I press the GET button on the Catalina page, and it opens up System Preferences/Software Update in a popup. There, it proceeds to (allegedly) download an 8.25 GB file, which takes about 15 minutes. The blue progress bar advances, it says it has gotten 8.25 GB, but there is still 1/4" of grey progress bar. There it just sits.

There is no sign of an installer in the Applications folder, no .dmg appearing on the desktop. No error message. When I repeat the process, it still shows that 8.25 of download has completed.

FYI, let me make it clear: I'm not installing it yet, just trying to download it.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 9:17 AM

The problem was finally resolved by chatting with Apple Support and trying a bunch of different things. It was solved by using Internet Recovery (startup holding CMD-OPT-R).

For the record, here is where the Mojave-to-Catalina upgrade path stalled on my MacBook Pro, when using the standard System Preferences/Software Update method:

As you can see, the blue progress bar shows that 8.25 GB has been downloaded, but there is still grey bar to the right. There it stalled, no matter how long I waited. I believe there is something wrong at Apple's end because before I used Internet Recovery:

• I reinstalled Mojave.
  • I made sure there was 100 GB free on my drive.
  • Software Update let me install the latest Mojave security and Safari updates, so Software Update itself isn't the culprit.
  • I booted up in Safe Mode, so no extensions were interfering, and Software Update still didn't work.

Happy ending, though, I'm writing this on my new SSD with Catalina installed. My only regret is that because I never got a download, I can't make my own backup installer, although macOS Recovery makes that less important than in years past.

Thanks to Apple Support chat:

Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 9:17 AM in response to TinenTech

The problem was finally resolved by chatting with Apple Support and trying a bunch of different things. It was solved by using Internet Recovery (startup holding CMD-OPT-R).

For the record, here is where the Mojave-to-Catalina upgrade path stalled on my MacBook Pro, when using the standard System Preferences/Software Update method:

As you can see, the blue progress bar shows that 8.25 GB has been downloaded, but there is still grey bar to the right. There it stalled, no matter how long I waited. I believe there is something wrong at Apple's end because before I used Internet Recovery:

• I reinstalled Mojave.
  • I made sure there was 100 GB free on my drive.
  • Software Update let me install the latest Mojave security and Safari updates, so Software Update itself isn't the culprit.
  • I booted up in Safe Mode, so no extensions were interfering, and Software Update still didn't work.

Happy ending, though, I'm writing this on my new SSD with Catalina installed. My only regret is that because I never got a download, I can't make my own backup installer, although macOS Recovery makes that less important than in years past.

Thanks to Apple Support chat:

Apple Support

Mar 8, 2022 4:37 AM in response to TinenTech

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses and may even corrupt the download.

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

8 - Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Mar 8, 2022 6:51 AM in response to TinenTech

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Catalina would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Catalina .

If the computer being used to download the Full Version os Catalina id TOO NEW or TOO Old to run Catalina even if to create a Bootable Installer - this computer is Disqualified to perform this action.

The Apple " Licence of Use Agreement " prohibits downgrading to a version of maCO older than what this computer Originally came installed with.

Empty Space - it is suggested to keep at least 15% to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates upgrades to download, expand and install.

If this computer doesn't not have the suggest Empty Space Available >>

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

In Monterey the “Other “ category is named “ System Storage “.

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Mar 8, 2022 5:51 AM in response to TinenTech

Good advice, thanks. According to speedtest.net, my download speed over WiFi is around 90 Mbps. I did connect to the cable modem via Ethernet to get over 200 Mbps, same result. I have no non-Apple antivirus protection software and am not behind a VPN.

The main point is, though: the download is complete when it stalls. It says 8.25 GB has been downloaded, but then some bug is keeping it from doing whatever it's supposed to do (automatically install? mount a disk image? ask me which disk I want to install it on?).

As for Apple's servers being overloaded, I've tried this in the late evening, and now in the morning. I think there's something wrong with the Mojave-to-Catalina upgrade process at Apple's end.

It bothers me that the Software Update button says Upgrade Now, not Download; I don't want to actually upgrade the existing internal drive, but do a clean install on a new external SSD and then use Migration Assistant. I wish it was like the old days where you could just download an upgrade and not go through the App Store (where, if you search for Catalina, it doesn't show up...only after you go through System Preferences can you find Catalina on the App Store).

Why is a download of Catalina hanging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.