Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change "LOCK SCREEN" background picture. (Not to be confused with the "LOGIN WINDOW"). Help me to do it.

Hello

Please help me to change the grey background of the LOCK SCREEN for a custom picture.

(iMac 2010 w/ High Sierra)

The LOCK SCREEN comes to ask for the password after you select "Lock Screen" from the menu or to access the Desktop after it's locked automatically after certain time or an active screen saver.

The LOCK SCREEN has no Power Off button, and has a plain grey background.

THIS IS THE -LOCK SCREEN-

The LOGIN WINDOW instead, has a blurry version of the Desktop picture. And often confused with the LOCK SCREEN.

It shows either when one chooses from the drop down Fast User Switching menu or the menu > Log Out <User>

THIS IS THE -LOGIN WINDOW- (before and after you select the user to Login)

I have managed to change the the background of the LOGIN WINDOW for one of my liking (same desktop picture but not blurry) just by switching the file /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

But changing the background of the LOCK SCREEN has been a huge challenge. I haven't found any information on internet on how to accomplish this.

It's been asked many times here and elsewhere, yes, but not answers or not relevant answers, as they often refer to the LOGIN WINDOW, not to the LOCK SCREEN.

I hope that asking (again), but in detail, can bring an answer to this query.

Is there a way to change the LOCK SCREEN grey background for a custom picture?

(Preferable: doesn't require a 3rd party app - Required: not disabling permanently SIP)

Thank you very much in advance.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 9:34 AM

Thank you for trying, again M G, but your answer continues to be irrelevant to my question.

Take time and read in full my post, although from the beginning I made clear that "LOCK SCREEN" and "LOGIN WINDOW" are 2 different things. Also that I'm in High Sierra and that the fact that I set a Lion on my desktop wouldn't mean That I have Lion OSX.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2022 9:34 AM in response to my ginger

Thank you for trying, again M G, but your answer continues to be irrelevant to my question.

Take time and read in full my post, although from the beginning I made clear that "LOCK SCREEN" and "LOGIN WINDOW" are 2 different things. Also that I'm in High Sierra and that the fact that I set a Lion on my desktop wouldn't mean That I have Lion OSX.

Mar 11, 2022 6:16 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi, I think i can understand his question. Its a differnt Wallpaper at Login Window you can't control in the System Preferences. This Apple Standard Wallpaper you will only see if you have more than 1 user in your System. After you click on one of the Portraits at your Login Windows the Lock Screen appears with an different wallpaper (the customizable one).

Mar 8, 2022 9:04 AM in response to givemeabrake

To elaborate on P Phillips. Your lock screen image is controlled by you Desktop and Screen savers. To change the lock screen image you change the desktop picture. Or you can add your own pictures to Desktop & Screen saversChange the desktop picture (background) on your Mac – Apple Support (UK) To change the icon, you go to Users & Groups and click on the image and choose edit.

Mar 8, 2022 8:14 AM in response to givemeabrake

All the supplied picture in above are pictures of Monterey macOS 12.

User writes " Please help me to change the grey background of the LOCK SCREEN for a custom picture.(iMac 2010 w/ High Sierra) "

To change the Desktop picture >> System Preferences >> Desktop & Screen Saver and choose from the available Pictures or Solid Colours

refer to Monterey Screen Shot below

Mar 8, 2022 9:56 AM in response to givemeabrake

Welcome.

Good luck with this computer issue.

Suggest re-phrasing the question more clearly and then maybe so Other User will offer assistance

Is this a New Issue ? If Yes, what exactly changed on this computer ?

Is this an Old Issue ? If Yes, what actions has the user taken to fix this issue ?

Reliable , accurate, details and context will really help to pinpoint a possible solution.

How to change "LOCK SCREEN" background picture. (Not to be confused with the "LOGIN WINDOW"). Help me to do it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.