Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2010 Macbook. My software is out of date but I cannot download an update. What's the problem?

I have a 2010 Macbook. My software is out of date but I cannot download an update. What's the problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 4:20 PM

The last supported version of macOS for a 2010 laptop is macOS 10.13 High Sierra. You can find links to various macOS installers within this Apple article as well as optional instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

macOS 10.13 no longer receives any updates from Apple so this means this version of macOS is not receiving any security updates and Safari is getting out of date so some websites may not load or work correctly although third party web browser are an option (Firefox, Vivaldi, Google Chrome, etc.).

If you are currently running an older version of macOS, then I highly recommend you make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS in case something goes wrong.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2022 4:20 PM in response to MNB2010

The last supported version of macOS for a 2010 laptop is macOS 10.13 High Sierra. You can find links to various macOS installers within this Apple article as well as optional instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

macOS 10.13 no longer receives any updates from Apple so this means this version of macOS is not receiving any security updates and Safari is getting out of date so some websites may not load or work correctly although third party web browser are an option (Firefox, Vivaldi, Google Chrome, etc.).

If you are currently running an older version of macOS, then I highly recommend you make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS in case something goes wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.