Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't have Permission to Write to my Own External Hard Drives

So this is a fun one... c8

I hadn't plugged in any of my external drives for a while... and when I did last night, I found that I no longer had permission to write to any of the hard drives I owned. (I tried four of them with no avail.)

• Within the permissions tab, I am listed as the owner, who can read and write to them.
  • "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" is selected
  • If I try and let "everyone" read and write, it says I do not have permission to do that
  • All drives are formatted to Mac OS Journaled
  • Dragging and dropping any object to any of these external drives results in an ex'd out arrow pointer
  • I have run First Aid on all drives in Disc Utility, and my Macintosh HD and they all appear fine and fully functional
  • I have tried plugging the drives directly to the Mac Mini disregarding USB hubs, and it still does not work
  • I have re-installed Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1 and it still does not allow me to change the device permissions
  • If I restart the computer, the drives show up properly for a few seconds (showing available space), but Finder finishes loading, and my permissions are once again removed.
  • The helpful "Repair Disc Permissions" in Disk Utility appears to be gone. Any idea how to get this back?

Thanks so much!

Mac mini, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 10:15 AM

WELP. Problem solved. Turns out the Sophos protection software work installed on my computer had blocked write access to all my hard drives. That'll do it c8<

Thanks for your help! I'll close this conversation.

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 9, 2022 9:25 AM in response to Mortimer E. Weird

Plugged one of the drives into another Mac, and they work perfectly fine... so it's not the drives. Something with the system permissions on the MacMini are bugged. Maybe I need to wipe it and start over? I may try that over the weekend.... but being unable to back up my files to an external drive? How on earth do I do that. XD

Don't have Permission to Write to my Own External Hard Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.