Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music data usage extremely high

I gave it a try to Apple One considering all the services that you can get in bundle. I was paying iCloud Storage 2TB and Apple TV separately. But after thinking twice I decided to try Apple One to get Apple Music and Arcade at the same time. I even cancelled Spotify as my music streaming service.

But....once I started using Apple Music using my cellular data, I realized that AM uses excessively data. I am considering cancelling the service. I read on this discussion communities, forums and other posts about this same problem and some ways to reduce the data consumption. BUt none of the solutions really worked. I changed the quality to high efficiency, no art download, no download over cellular data, no lossless.

In no more than 20 minutes using apple music (no radio) it sucked about 300 MB. This is so extreme. I tried everything recommended and it did not solve the problem. I was wondering if this is an unsolved bug since I can see posts by users since a couple of years back.

What do you recommend me to do? Should I go back to Spotify?

Take a look at my settings.

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 5:42 PM

That’s correct; the average song is about 10 MB. And when you start listening to a song it downloads the entire song so it won’t skip when playing.

As the vast majority of users (at least in the US) now have unlimited data plans this is not a problem for them. If you want to continue using Apple Music you should check with your carrier about upgrading to unlimited data.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2022 5:42 PM in response to chinahilaria

That’s correct; the average song is about 10 MB. And when you start listening to a song it downloads the entire song so it won’t skip when playing.

As the vast majority of users (at least in the US) now have unlimited data plans this is not a problem for them. If you want to continue using Apple Music you should check with your carrier about upgrading to unlimited data.

Mar 9, 2022 5:53 PM in response to chinahilaria

chinahilaria,

Thank you for giving that step a try.

We recommend that you download your songs for offline use when you get the chance to connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.

Downloading your songs will greatly minimize the cellular data usage of the Music app.

Add and download music from Apple Music

Additionally, you can also prevent cellular data usage of the Music app once you downloaded your songs.

You can manage your cellular data under Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data.

If the issue persists, we recommend that you reach out to us here so we can take a closer look into the issue: Get Support

Take care!

Mar 9, 2022 5:30 PM in response to Chris_D13

Hi Chris

I did what you say and it did not solve the problem. It seems 2 things are happening

1. Every song uses about 10 MB
  2. It uses that amount of MB even if you barely listen a song a few seconds. If you click on the song, AM assumes that you will need all the song right away. That is why if you click and click songs AM will consume all your MEgabytes

Mar 9, 2022 3:26 PM in response to chinahilaria

Hello chinahilaria,

Let's have you restart your iPhone, ensure iOS is updated, reset the cellular statistics, and then test and see if Apple Music continues to use excessive cellular data. You can reset the cellular statistics by tapping Settings > Cellular, scroll to the bottom and tap Reset Statistics.

If the issue continues, reach out to Apple Support directly for assistance with the behavior: Get Support

Have a good day.

Apple Music data usage extremely high

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.