Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the help file says I can have a max of 8 GB RAM. Why can't I put in more? Or can I? It's a MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2012 model

Will 8GB RAM modules work properly so I can get, say 16GB RAM. The help file says max memory is 8GB in total. It would be great if you could help. Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 3:50 AM

5 replies

Mar 9, 2022 7:53 AM in response to AppleSabre

Check the OWC site for available memory upgrades for your model/year computer. If your Mac is a non-retina display model it likely can accommodate 16GB. The Apple documentation was publiched at the time the computer was designed and built. 16GB RAM was not available at that time. Apple does not go back and update old publications for obsolete/vintage products.

Mar 9, 2022 8:19 AM in response to AppleSabre

everymac.com says:

Standard RAM:8 GB* Maximum RAM:16 GB**

Details:*As originally shipped, this model had 8 GB of RAM standard. Starting February 13, 2013, as a custom configuration of the MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.3 15" Mid-2012 (MD103LL/A), it could have only 4 GB of RAM. RAM is installed as two matching modules, no slots are free.

**Apple officially supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that this model actually is capable of using up to 16 GB of RAM with two 8 GB memory modules.

Check the full page (link at top) to make sure this is indeed your model.

Mar 9, 2022 5:33 PM in response to AppleSabre

It is best to only use memory from Crucial or OWC since Macs are very picky about the memory they use. Even when using memory from Crucial or OWC, make sure to only get the exact part numbers recommended for your Mac when using the tools on their respective websites to identify the correct memory.

Edit: I only saw the one reply when I posted my reply.

the help file says I can have a max of 8 GB RAM. Why can't I put in more? Or can I? It's a MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2012 model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.