Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Siri on multiple devices when they are near to each other and I only want to use it for one of the devices

I am trying to use Siri with my MacbookPro. I keep my iPhone nearby. It seems I have to turn Siri off on the iPhone so the iPhone does not try to respond to what I am asking Siri on my Mac to do. Is that correct? What about the other way, too?

In this forum, it asks me to select a device. Yet my question applies to multiple devices???

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 11:24 AM

2 replies

Mar 10, 2022 9:59 AM in response to jeanstress

Hey jeanstress,

It sounds like you have questions about using Siri with your Mac and your iPhone. We can understand wanting to look into that further. We want to help.

If your iPhone has Siri enabled and is near your Mac, it may pick up your voice commands, too. You can prevent that though. Check out the information below:

Which device responds to ”Hey Siri”

When you say ”Hey Siri” near multiple devices that support ”Hey Siri,” the devices use Bluetooth to quickly communicate with each other and determine which one should respond to the request. The device that responds is the one that heard you best or was recently raised or used.
HomePod responds to most Siri requests, even when other devices that support ”Hey Siri” are nearby. To use Siri on a specific device, raise to wake that device or press the button to use Siri, then make your request.

What to do if the wrong device responds to ”Hey Siri”
• Make sure that each device has Bluetooth turned on. If Bluetooth is turned off or a device isn’t in Bluetooth range of the other devices, multiple devices might respond to your request.
• Make sure that each device is using the latest Apple software. If some are using older software, multiple devices might respond to ”Hey Siri.”
• On each device that you want to use with ”Hey Siri,” make sure that ”Hey Siri” is turned on in Siri settings.
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can place it face down so that it doesn't respond to ”Hey Siri.”
• If you have a HomePod, you can say ”Hey Siri, turn off Hey Siri,” or use the Home app to turn off Listen for "Hey Siri.” To turn it back on, touch and hold the top of HomePod, then say ”Turn on Hey Siri.”
• If you have a Mac that supports ”Hey Siri,” you can close its lid so that it doesn't respond to ”Hey Siri.” And if ”Allow Siri when locked” is turned off in Siri preferences, it also doesn't respond when the screen is locked.

That's found within this article: How 'Hey Siri' works with multiple devices

Thanks!

Using Siri on multiple devices when they are near to each other and I only want to use it for one of the devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.