Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps not quitting

Monterey 12.2.1

I open the Calendar app, and close the app with the red dot, but it does not close the app, even though the app does not have a dot below it in the dock. When I go to the Apple in the top left corner and choose Force Quit, it is listed there as an app running (even though it does not have a black dot below it).

This same behavior happens with the Preview app as well. Why are they seemingly closed (with not dot underneath) yet they can still be found in the Force Quit list as if they are hidden, running in the background. Is this a bug? Happens on all macs I own - Mac mini M1, Mac mini, Macbook Air, MacBook Pro - anything running Monterey or previous major version.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 5:24 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 11, 2022 7:19 AM in response to DevKatt

DevKatt wrote:

So why must I remember this with these two apps, when the red dot will close the entire app for most other apps.

As I mentioned in my last reply, clicking the red dot does not quit most Mac apps. You do not need to remember which apps quit or don't quit with the red dot. You can just use the cmd+Q keyboard shortcut or choose "Quit" from the app's menu. I can't tell you why the active dot does not show for you. It does for me with all apps if they are open but the window is closed.

Apps not quitting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.