Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos application stuck in a loop???

My photos app on my Mac seems to be running in a loop that says, "Analyzing Scenes, Detecting Duplicates, Curating, Composing, Gathering..." It used to have the number of photos in my library listed, and the date and time of my most recent update, but that has disappeared. Any ideas about what is going on? I'm using Monterey operating system, the latest version. Thank you for your help.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 11:21 PM

How large is your photos library? The scene analysis to recognize objects and scene needs an enormous amount of processing power. For a large library it can take several weeks or even months. For my library with 55000 photos and videos it took two months. And it will star over again, when you import new items or adjust photos. This analysis is used to enable you to search for images with certain objects or scenes, to compose Memories, create sharing suggestion, compose a pleasing layout for the days and months views of the library. Keep the mac connected to power and running when you are not using it, so Photos can complete the analysis.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 11:21 PM in response to Sharonzula

How large is your photos library? The scene analysis to recognize objects and scene needs an enormous amount of processing power. For a large library it can take several weeks or even months. For my library with 55000 photos and videos it took two months. And it will star over again, when you import new items or adjust photos. This analysis is used to enable you to search for images with certain objects or scenes, to compose Memories, create sharing suggestion, compose a pleasing layout for the days and months views of the library. Keep the mac connected to power and running when you are not using it, so Photos can complete the analysis.

photos application stuck in a loop???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.