Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When trying to download my music from iTunes to my iPod it starts then stops, but my music is not transferred

I cannot get my iTunes to download to my iPod, it starts and quickly stops. I was wonder is my iPod settings is the problem?

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 10:50 AM

• Use the iPod's power cable to connect from your iPod's lightning connector to a USB port on your computer
  • click on the iPod icon once it appears in your iTunes:

• this will display the Device/Settings/Summary pane, as shown below:

• click on Device/Settings/Music (1.)
  • click the box named Sync Music (2.) to add the tick in the box
  • for step 3, click on either:
    • Entire music library (3.) - which will add all the music and playlists in your iTunes Library. With this choice, the sections numbered 4 do not appear. This is expected behaviour
    • Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres (3.) - in which case the sections numbered 4 appear. Choose and select the items that you want to Sync to your iPod
  • click the Sync (or Apply) button in the lower right corner of your iTunes window (not shown in the screenshots). You will notice sync activity listed in the Now Playing window at the top of iTunes
  • once the Sync has completed, click the Eject icon (that replaces the double-arrows) to the left of my orange number 2 notation
  • now you can remove the iPod from your computer

When you subsequently Sync your iPod with your iTunes Library, your previous set-up selections are used again. If you used Sync Entire Library:

• any new music that you have added to your iTunes Library is added to the iPod
    • all edits to song tags in your Library (tags are the song's information fields), such as correcting typing or spelling errors, changing the song's rating etc. are then modified on the copy of your song on your iPod as well
    • changes to Playlists are added to the copy of the Playlist on the iPod
    • the Last Played time of songs on your iPod are noted back in your iTunes Library
    • changes to song ratings, made on the iPod are noted back in your iTunes Library
    • changes to Playlists, or new Playlists, made on the iPod are noted back into your iTunes Library

If you used Sync Selected Playlists, artists, albums and genres, then any new music must be included in your step 4 choices in order to be added to your iPod.

Note that if you use Manually Manage (instead of Sync) to add or remove songs to your iPod, none of the above takes place. You have to do al the work to get changes made in your Library onto the iPod. Any changes made on the iPod (changing song rating, editing or creating Playlists and the Last Played time) are not copied back to your Library.

I recommend that you use Sync to manage your iPod.

For your information: the Manually Manage option is on the Device/Settings/Summary pane, but I suggest that you do not use it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2022 10:50 AM in response to Nycbrotha

• Use the iPod's power cable to connect from your iPod's lightning connector to a USB port on your computer
  • click on the iPod icon once it appears in your iTunes:

• this will display the Device/Settings/Summary pane, as shown below:

• click on Device/Settings/Music (1.)
  • click the box named Sync Music (2.) to add the tick in the box
  • for step 3, click on either:
    • Entire music library (3.) - which will add all the music and playlists in your iTunes Library. With this choice, the sections numbered 4 do not appear. This is expected behaviour
    • Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres (3.) - in which case the sections numbered 4 appear. Choose and select the items that you want to Sync to your iPod
  • click the Sync (or Apply) button in the lower right corner of your iTunes window (not shown in the screenshots). You will notice sync activity listed in the Now Playing window at the top of iTunes
  • once the Sync has completed, click the Eject icon (that replaces the double-arrows) to the left of my orange number 2 notation
  • now you can remove the iPod from your computer

When you subsequently Sync your iPod with your iTunes Library, your previous set-up selections are used again. If you used Sync Entire Library:

• any new music that you have added to your iTunes Library is added to the iPod
    • all edits to song tags in your Library (tags are the song's information fields), such as correcting typing or spelling errors, changing the song's rating etc. are then modified on the copy of your song on your iPod as well
    • changes to Playlists are added to the copy of the Playlist on the iPod
    • the Last Played time of songs on your iPod are noted back in your iTunes Library
    • changes to song ratings, made on the iPod are noted back in your iTunes Library
    • changes to Playlists, or new Playlists, made on the iPod are noted back into your iTunes Library

If you used Sync Selected Playlists, artists, albums and genres, then any new music must be included in your step 4 choices in order to be added to your iPod.

Note that if you use Manually Manage (instead of Sync) to add or remove songs to your iPod, none of the above takes place. You have to do al the work to get changes made in your Library onto the iPod. Any changes made on the iPod (changing song rating, editing or creating Playlists and the Last Played time) are not copied back to your Library.

I recommend that you use Sync to manage your iPod.

For your information: the Manually Manage option is on the Device/Settings/Summary pane, but I suggest that you do not use it.

When trying to download my music from iTunes to my iPod it starts then stops, but my music is not transferred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.