Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 15.3.1 - A hot mess?

I've had ios since my iphone 3. Its always been reliable, never too buggy. 15.3.1 feels like I'm a beta tester.

I updated direct to 15.3.1 from latest version of ios 14 on my iphone 12, since then I have no end of trouble, restarts & issues.

Just this week I have had the following

Unable to use mobile data 4G or 5G. I have to restart the phone. Sometimes I can get away with just moving between airplane mode, but it always fails after a little time. Not app dependant, it just stops working.

When I make a call, if I put it to my ear, the screen goes black but I cant get back to the phone screen, it shows a see through version of the notifications on my lock screen, like I half swiped up on the screen but I haven't. It does it all the time so I cant hang up, I'm reliant on the other caller to hang up. Then I can use the phone again with a swipe up.

Touch on the screen also seems less responsive and acts weird. This phone has no physical damage and has never been dropped. Some gestures that worked 4 days ago only work haphazardly now.

Pulling up an image in messages freezes the screen and I have to swipe up to remove it so I can go back into the messages app.

This is junk and from Apple I expect this stuff not to happen, this device was perfect 4 days ago on ios 14, ios 15.3.1 is junk.

iPhone 12

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 2:42 AM

Did you use Wi-Fi to upgrade your iOS ?

If yes, set your phone back to factory settings, using your computer. Only this way a complete iOS firmware package will be downloaded and installed onto your device, including all needed other updates, for example from your network provider.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings

As for your 4G/5G issue, make sure that the network provider settings are up to date:

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

I'm using a iPhone 12mini, running iOS 15.3.1, and have no issues. However, I never install an iOS update using Wi-Fi.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2022 2:42 AM in response to blackvulcan3

Did you use Wi-Fi to upgrade your iOS ?

If yes, set your phone back to factory settings, using your computer. Only this way a complete iOS firmware package will be downloaded and installed onto your device, including all needed other updates, for example from your network provider.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings

As for your 4G/5G issue, make sure that the network provider settings are up to date:

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

I'm using a iPhone 12mini, running iOS 15.3.1, and have no issues. However, I never install an iOS update using Wi-Fi.

ios 15.3.1 - A hot mess?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.