Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accidentally deleted emails mac mail

Working on so many emails, I have occasionally accidentally deleted messages while reading them by pressing backspace. a silly mistake, but the messages are nowhere to be found. how can i recover them? I've followed online tips on recovering emails, but can never find the emails I've lost.

i just experimented, pressing backspace on an email i sent to myself. it has been deleted from the inbox and the sent box. grateful for any help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 4:10 AM

10 replies

Mar 12, 2022 5:43 AM in response to porlockmr

porlockmr wrote:

Working on so many emails, I have occasionally accidentally deleted messages while reading them by pressing backspace. a silly mistake, but the messages are nowhere to be found. how can i recover them? I've followed online tips on recovering emails, but can never find the emails I've lost.
i just experimented, pressing backspace on an email i sent to myself. it has been deleted from the inbox and the sent box. grateful for any help.

Look in the trash ?

if you do not see the trash, add it in

Verify your Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Mailbox Behavior

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Mar 13, 2022 5:15 AM in response to Will_G_Astro

Thank you for your help.

This is the screenshot of favourites. When I click the + symbol I get a list of folders to add, but none of them is a bin. I have now added junk folders but they just contain the usual junk - the deleted emails aren't there. Nothing named bin is in the list of options to add to favourites.

Am I missing something, and if i have a corrupted macOS installation, what do I do?

Mar 13, 2022 9:23 AM in response to porlockmr

Good to hear that you have recovered at least some functionality.

I have read of other users reporting the missing Bin(s) or Junk folders before as a consequence of accidentally deleting the "Bin" rather than the contents of the Bin.

The Apple Mail app is a part of the Apple OS and you could always start the Mac in recovery mode and choose to reinstall the OS, which would put a fresh copy of Apple Mail, and all the included Apple applications on your machine, whilst keeping your data and settings intact.

There is always a very small risk that something will go awry during a OS reinstall and it is recommended that you have a fresh Time Machine backup on an external drive to fall back on, just in case your data is lost when reinstalling the OS.

Your might also be able to reset Apple Mail by booting the Mac into Safe Mode one time, which clears out several system cache files associated with Apple applications.

There is no need to do anything in Safe-Mode, just start the Mac in Safe-Mode, allow it to boot to your user desktop view, leave the Mac alone for ten minutes while hidden background tasks complete and then restart the Mac.

These two links explain how to reinstall the macOS from recovery mode and how to carry out a Safe-Mode boot:

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers – Apple Support (UK)

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Will.

Mar 12, 2022 8:51 AM in response to porlockmr

Hi porlockmr

Can you provide a cropped screenshot of your Favourites list in Mail?

Be careful not to reveal any private information when taking a screenshot.

When you hover the mouse over the "Favourites" heading and click on the small circle with the "+" symbol to enter the Favourites setup you should see the list of folders that you can add.

Folders that are already in the Favourites list are "greyed" out, as in the snapshot of my mail Favourites setup page, shown below, mailboxes not yet added to Favourites are shown brightly, click on any brightly highlighted folder in the Favourites setup tab to add a Folder or Bin to your Mail Favourites folders listing.

All deleted mail should appear in both the respective Bins or Junk folder for each account and the "All Bins" or "All Junk" mailbox, as in my setup.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the Favourites setup tab you can open your individual email accounts and add separate Bins or Folders from those accounts to your Favourites list too.

All deleted mail should be automatically placed in either the "All Bins" folder or the "All Junk" folder.

If you aren't seeing those folders, or the Bin and Junk folders are present under your Favourites but contain no deleted mail then something else is not configured correctly in Mail, or you have a corrupted macOS installation. But first verify that you are seeing those Bin and Junk folders under your Mail Favourites listing and if not can you add them as described above?

HTH

Will.

Mar 12, 2022 6:45 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you very much for your reply.

Preferences are already set to never erase deleted messages.

When i try to add trash to favourites as you showed, i get options to add a mailbox, but trash isn't included in the list.

sorry - i'm not too technical - nothing is in the bin/trash, is there somewhere else deleted emails could be? for example is there a mail bin? there's nothing in deleted messages.

thanks again.

Mar 12, 2022 7:32 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thank you for your reply.

I see that's how to import a mailbox, but what mailbox do i want? I can't find the deleted messages anywhere.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I have no idea where the messages have gone. Am i looking in the wrong places, they aren't in deleted messages in mail, and not in the trash either. Is there somewhere else I should look?

Mar 13, 2022 5:37 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks for that. I have found deleted emails in the library!!! I'm not sure I dare try to move anything, my mac now feels temperamental, but I am glad to have found the missing items. I had to look for a long time, but I found them. I'm very grateful.

Thanks also to Will - I looked in accounts and fiddled about there and found bins and how to deal with deleted messages. I hope all will be well from now own, although I find it odd that it's so easy to delete a message by mistake with one blow of the backspace.

Thanks again for your patience and help

accidentally deleted emails mac mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.