Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving time external machine drive to new computer

Will be replacing my iMac with Mac studio. After using the transfer wizard, can I just connect my TM drive to the new computer?

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 5:21 AM

Two pieces of advice:

1) Yes, you can and should use the Time Machine drive with the new mac. In fact, when you use it to import your content, the new mac should inherit that backup drive, and you should be able to keep your backup history.

2) When doing this, you should migrate ONLY the user accounts and then install any applications fresh from the App Store or their websites. Do not bring old cruft to your new mac. This is the most common cause of performance and other problems, as people bring over stuff from years past, designed for an older OS and a different architecture, and they don't even know was installed - and then, of course, blame Apple...

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2022 5:21 AM in response to robertfromdumfries

Two pieces of advice:

1) Yes, you can and should use the Time Machine drive with the new mac. In fact, when you use it to import your content, the new mac should inherit that backup drive, and you should be able to keep your backup history.

2) When doing this, you should migrate ONLY the user accounts and then install any applications fresh from the App Store or their websites. Do not bring old cruft to your new mac. This is the most common cause of performance and other problems, as people bring over stuff from years past, designed for an older OS and a different architecture, and they don't even know was installed - and then, of course, blame Apple...

Mar 13, 2022 6:15 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks. Very helpful tips.

i. O tide you said user accounts but did not mention data. I have large videos on a external drive, all other docs on my Mac in documents folder. Can I specify what data files to restore, or just copy from the old Mac?

I like ku4hx idea of replacing my tm drive, as it is several years old. If I did so, would I be able to just have the old laying around until (if) needed, then just plug in and access it?

moving time external machine drive to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.