Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPadOS 15 Update Problem

I have been unsuccessful in upgrading to iPadOS 15.3.1 despite several attempts. (This is the first time I have run into this sort of problem.) I have an iPad Pro (9.7-inch) which currently has iPadOS 14.8.1.

Given another thread I checked out, I wonder if my iPad is too old to support the latest update. Can anyone advise me re: resolution of my problem?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 4:43 AM

Your iPad Pro 9.7 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.3.1 - this being the most recently released version. As your iPad is capable of being updated to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPad - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that for your iPad to install an available update, its battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter. Similarly, the iPad can only be updated over a standard WiFi connection - or be updated by a PC or Mac using iTunes or Finder - over a USB connection.

There are known issues with update of some iPad models (e.g., iPad Pro 9.7 & 10.5) to iPadOS 15.x. Do you have a WiFi Only, or WiFi+Cellular model of iPad?

For affected WiFi+Cellular models of iPad, many are reporting that removal of the SIM tray from the iPad will allow the verification and installation processes to successfully compete. Other reports suggest that installing a SIM card (whether active or not) also permits the update process to complete.

You may need to restart the update process, but removing the SIM tray from the iPad is simple and costs nothing to try.

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone - Apple Support

If you have a WiFi Only model, the current workaround is to remove the iPad Passcode - and then re-try the installation process. This has also been observed to resolve issues with installing/verifying the update on WiFi+Cellular models.

Be aware that removing the iPad Passcode has implications for any payment methods registered for ApplePay from iPad - and your Keychain (that includes your saved passwords). Assuming that you have other devices (such as an iPhone), your Keychain will remain preserved in iCloud - and can be easily re-synchronised with your iPad via iCloud. Payment cards registered for ApplePay will need to be manually re-added after the update.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2022 4:43 AM in response to mld3rd

Your iPad Pro 9.7 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.3.1 - this being the most recently released version. As your iPad is capable of being updated to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPad - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that for your iPad to install an available update, its battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter. Similarly, the iPad can only be updated over a standard WiFi connection - or be updated by a PC or Mac using iTunes or Finder - over a USB connection.

There are known issues with update of some iPad models (e.g., iPad Pro 9.7 & 10.5) to iPadOS 15.x. Do you have a WiFi Only, or WiFi+Cellular model of iPad?

For affected WiFi+Cellular models of iPad, many are reporting that removal of the SIM tray from the iPad will allow the verification and installation processes to successfully compete. Other reports suggest that installing a SIM card (whether active or not) also permits the update process to complete.

You may need to restart the update process, but removing the SIM tray from the iPad is simple and costs nothing to try.

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone - Apple Support

If you have a WiFi Only model, the current workaround is to remove the iPad Passcode - and then re-try the installation process. This has also been observed to resolve issues with installing/verifying the update on WiFi+Cellular models.

Be aware that removing the iPad Passcode has implications for any payment methods registered for ApplePay from iPad - and your Keychain (that includes your saved passwords). Assuming that you have other devices (such as an iPhone), your Keychain will remain preserved in iCloud - and can be easily re-synchronised with your iPad via iCloud. Payment cards registered for ApplePay will need to be manually re-added after the update.

Mar 12, 2022 11:59 PM in response to mld3rd

Hi and thanks for posting.

I'm really sorry that your are having difficulty updating your iPad to the latest operating system. You can check the compatibility of the device to iPadOS 15 here.

It does appear that your iPad will update to newest software though. I'd be happy to try to come to a resolution as to why the iPad isn't updating if you're still having trouble. What is the exact error message? Does it say you can't connect to the server or anything about storage?

iPadOS 15 Update Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.