Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I do if my MacBook gets wet

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 12:48 PM

FWIW. I had an accidental water spill on my 2020 MacBook Pro. It was only a small amount of water, but I could see that it had affected the notebook's display. I did all the typical things to try to remove as much water as possible. I too waited a few days, but the issue still persisted when I powered it back up. The end result is that it required a new screen, logic board, & track pad. Fortunately, having AppleCare+, the repair costs were manageable.

I'm not saying that this will necessarily be the case for your daughter's notebook, just making you aware that simply leaving it to dry may not be enough. Once a liquid enters into the notebook, even if it evaporates, it could leave trace elements that could be conductive. Their presence will increase the likelihood that even more damage is still possible should she continue to use it. Although, inconvenient, having it looked at by the Genius Bar or an Apple Authorized Service Provider is the next best step ... unless, of course, you just want to purchase her a new notebook.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2022 12:48 PM in response to Jjj118

FWIW. I had an accidental water spill on my 2020 MacBook Pro. It was only a small amount of water, but I could see that it had affected the notebook's display. I did all the typical things to try to remove as much water as possible. I too waited a few days, but the issue still persisted when I powered it back up. The end result is that it required a new screen, logic board, & track pad. Fortunately, having AppleCare+, the repair costs were manageable.

I'm not saying that this will necessarily be the case for your daughter's notebook, just making you aware that simply leaving it to dry may not be enough. Once a liquid enters into the notebook, even if it evaporates, it could leave trace elements that could be conductive. Their presence will increase the likelihood that even more damage is still possible should she continue to use it. Although, inconvenient, having it looked at by the Genius Bar or an Apple Authorized Service Provider is the next best step ... unless, of course, you just want to purchase her a new notebook.

Mar 13, 2022 12:30 PM in response to Tesserax

It’s my daughters Mac that she uses for college. Water spilled in her backpack and got water on her MacBook. She said the screen had water behind it when she turned it on. She turned it off and opened it up and laid it upside down. I told her to leave it like that that for 3 days at which point she plans to turn it back on. Thoughts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.