Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export memories from Apple Photos

I am attempting to export a memory created in the Photos App.

I am following the process that I found on the Apple site:

Export photos, videos, slideshows, and memories from Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Export memories

You can export memories to share with others. When you export a memory, Photos creates a movie file with the video format that you select.

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, click Memories in the sidebar, then double-click the memory that you want to export.
  2. To stop playing a memory, press the Space bar.
  3. Choose File > Export > Export Memory Video.
  4. Enter a filename for your memory in the Save As field.
  5. Click the Where pop-up menu and choose a location for the exported memory.
  6. Click the Orientation pop-up menu and choose Landscape, Portrait, or Square orientation.
  7. Click the Aspect pop-up menu and choose an aspect ratio (16:9, 4:3, or Original).
  8. Click Save.

It does not work -- all that I see is "export photos".

Help, please.

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 6:40 AM

The current version of macOS is macOS 12.2.1. You may want to try, if updating to the current version will help.

Perhaps one of the items in the Memory is preventing the rendering of the video.

Have you tested with a different Memory? Does your current version of Photos still allow to change the background music of the Memory? Then make sure you have selected a song that does not have digital rights assigned.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 6:40 AM in response to David Ris

The current version of macOS is macOS 12.2.1. You may want to try, if updating to the current version will help.

Perhaps one of the items in the Memory is preventing the rendering of the video.

Have you tested with a different Memory? Does your current version of Photos still allow to change the background music of the Memory? Then make sure you have selected a song that does not have digital rights assigned.

Mar 13, 2022 9:10 AM in response to David Ris

Which system version do you have installed?

Exporting a Memory Video is only possible in Fotos 7 on macOS 12 Monterey.

Make sure, your Mac has been updated to the latest version.

Then you should be seeing the Export options in the File menu, as long as the video controls are still shown after you have paused the memory video.

My Mac is currently set to use the German language, but you can see, where the option to export a Memory Video should appear in the File menu.

Mar 15, 2022 9:26 AM in response to David Ris

You're welcome. Great, that it is working now.

There were always plenty of flags that there was an update available, and I was on top of keeping it updated. That has not occurred since I purchased the Mac Mini. I had to go to System Preferences and ask it to check for an update. Clearly, I had missed a couple. I don't understand why I had to initiate that activity.

David Ris wrote:

Hello Léonie,
Thank you - I updated to the current version of Mac OS and that resolved the issue.

I missed that there were updates to the updates available. I have always preferred to manage updates, especially to the OS, myself. There were always plenty of flags that there was an update available, and I was on top of keeping it updated. That has not occurred since I purchased the Mac Mini. I had to go to System Preferences and ask it to check for an update. Clearly, I had missed a couple. I don't understand why I had to initiate that activity.

Anyway -- thank you for your help!

These flags are now in the Advanced Options for Software Update.

I have set these checkmarks: (My system is currently set to German, but you can compare the position of the checkmarks) - I have set the options to search for updates and to download them, but not to install them.

Mar 15, 2022 7:22 AM in response to léonie

Hello Léonie,

Thank you - I updated to the current version of Mac OS and that resolved the issue.

I missed that there were updates to the updates available. I have always preferred to manage updates, especially to the OS, myself. There were always plenty of flags that there was an update available, and I was on top of keeping it updated. That has not occurred since I purchased the Mac Mini. I had to go to System Preferences and ask it to check for an update. Clearly, I had missed a couple. I don't understand why I had to initiate that activity.

Anyway -- thank you for your help!

Export memories from Apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.