Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Sleep Wake Failure

Hi everyone,

I am running Monterey (12.2.1) on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) with D700 graphic cards.

Boot disk is OWC Aura Pro X2 1TB.

External disk (which I mapped to ~/Downloads) is the original 500 Gb Mac SSD.

When I upgraded to Monterey I needed also the EFI firmware upgrade and as you might know that one does not trigger with the OWC disk as boot disk.

Also without doing the EFI upgrade there was no way the Monterey upgrade would proceed.

As such I installed OSX on the original disk via Recovery, booted, upgraded (this one did also the EFI), removed the external disk, re-added OWC one, booted from it, upgraded also that one to Monterey and I was happy.

I am having now:

•  System Firmware Version: 429.60.3.0.0
  • SMC Version (system): 2.20f18

Since the latest Monterey update I started noticing a very "nice" behavior = crashes while it is asleep and that seems to have plagued the forums for quite some years on different OSX versions:

"Sleep Wake Failure in EFI"

I also found the crash log for it.

Then I googled and found this:

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-sleep-wake-failure-in-efi-failure-code-0xffffffff-0x0000001f-on-mac/

My questions would be:

a) do I have the latest SMC version and System Firmware?

Can someone with the latest Monterey on the official SSD confirm?

If I do not then I will do the trick with installing OSX on the original disk again...

b) did anyone encounter these crashes on Monterey already and can spare me the hours of experimenting with each topic in the article above?

I'm quite tech savvy and a former Linux Admin but with the current workload I have I'm a bit scarce on time spent with trial and error so if someone already went through this one, then I will be more than happy and thankful to learn about the solution.

Thanks!

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 5:16 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 14, 2022 9:08 AM in response to mhvrr

firmware versions are unlikely to be the issue here, and yours appears to be better than the latest.

• 10.14.2: 127.0.0.0.0 
  • 10.14.4: 130.0.0.0.0 - removes requirement for Apple SSDs to perform firmware upgrade
  • 10.14.6: 131.0.0.0.0 
  • 10.15.3: 134.0.0.0.0
  • 10.15.4: 135.0.0.0.0
  • 10.15.5: 136.0.0.0.0
  • 10.15.6: 137.0.0.0.0
  • 10.11.1: 426.0.0.0.0

http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2019/05/07/the-definitive-mac-pro-2013-trashcan-guide.html#tfirmware

Mar 14, 2022 7:43 AM in response to mhvrr

The initial steps suggested on that link -- restart your Mac, reset the NVRAM, do an SMC Reset -- are standard Mac debugging procedures. One more they omitted is to disable Power Nap.

The rest of that article is actually just an Ad for third-party add-on "cleaner" software.

Their add-on software does not pass the "smell test". No third-party should (with no special knowledge of the Internal workings of MacOS) should be able to provide a better solution than Apple, and that solution should already have been incorporated deep into the heart of MacOS.

Mar 14, 2022 8:07 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Those initial steps (pretty common) I kind of already tried.

The disable Power Nap I will give a go tonight.

It's on the same Mac Pro 2013 that we chatted about before when I really investigated even the logs and in the end found the power battle between Apple and Google/Mozilla where leaving HW Acceleration enabled in the browsers causes the Mac to have a software watchdog restart it as result of unresponsive display (nothing moving anymore). As Google/Mozilla were saying it's a Google driver problem and Google said it's the others using the driver wrong...I just disabled HW acceleration to avoid the eternal ping-pong where no vendor wanted to fix anything and invest engineering resources:)

Now on the same system I jumped to this other category of crashes:) latest Monterey updates "fixed" my no reboot experience. Before Monterey I was getting happy to have a working system after the former issue. My happiness did not last for long.

As a side note..do you or anyone have a similar system and can tell me what the last EFI firmware version is?

In case I do not have the latest, then I will do again the trick with installing OSX on the factory SSD in order to get it ugraded.

Monterey Sleep Wake Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.