Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Before upgrading to Monterey I ran EtreCheck and found some remnants

Hello,

Before upgrading to Monterey I ran EtreCheck and found some remnants from 2014:

Unsigned Files:

Launchd script: /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist

Executable: /opt/X11/lib/X11/xinit/launchd_startx /opt/X11/bin/startx -- /opt/X11/bin/Xquartz

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Install date: 2014-05-17 07:58:04

Launchd script: /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist

Executable: /opt/X11/lib/X11/xinit/privileged_startx -d /opt/X11/lib/X11/xinit/privileged_startx.d

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Install date: 2014-05-17 07:58:04

Launch Agents:

[Loaded] org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist (? d225a7da - installed 2014-05-17)

Launch Daemons:

[Loaded] org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist (? 65395f14 - installed 2014-05-17)

What are (were) these used for? (I don't know where they came from.)

I assume they don't need to launch/run/be loaded anymore.

How can I stop them in a safe way?

Thank you.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:29 AM

Good Work running and checking the Computer Before the upGrade :-)

This one of the few times I have seen a person be pro-active rather than reactive.

If " XQuartz " application is not longer installed on this computer, which shows in the Report as being installed date: 2014-05-17 07:58:04

It is a Left Over and should be removed from the system before upgrading to Monterey

IMHO there is Safe Application to find and remove " left overs "

Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

The run the the Application called Find Any File (FAF) and use the search words associated with this application " XQuartz "

It should point to where the files are located and Drag and Drop to Trash.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 10:29 AM in response to coxorange

Good Work running and checking the Computer Before the upGrade :-)

This one of the few times I have seen a person be pro-active rather than reactive.

If " XQuartz " application is not longer installed on this computer, which shows in the Report as being installed date: 2014-05-17 07:58:04

It is a Left Over and should be removed from the system before upgrading to Monterey

IMHO there is Safe Application to find and remove " left overs "

Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

The run the the Application called Find Any File (FAF) and use the search words associated with this application " XQuartz "

It should point to where the files are located and Drag and Drop to Trash.

Mar 14, 2022 11:09 AM in response to coxorange

In addition to what P. Phillips and BobTheFisherman said: as you are about to do a system upgrade,

consider starting fresh - make two full backups, install on a clean drive, and then migrate only the user accounts.

This way you are guaranteed to have a really clean system, free of any old extensions or daemons.

You will still have all your documents, photos, music, etc, and your preferences.

Before upgrading to Monterey I ran EtreCheck and found some remnants

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.