Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade

I have the late 2013 Mac. Pro. I want to upgrade to the new version. I see that getting more storage really jacks the price up. As does getting more graphics and other things.

I know I can upgrade the memory and storage. I see they have storage that is, I think PCI. What about the graphics card? I guess I can upgrade that as well.

I see I can upgrade the processor. I have not done anything on a computer since I was a teen. I am not 37. haha But I learn things quick and believe I could do it.

So anyone out there upgrade the memory, storage, graphics and processor?

I am writing some books. I do the art for one. I also like to record music and edit pictures. I have a 2.7 ghz 12 core intel xeon, 64 gigs ddr3, and firepro d700 6 gb memory. I can do everything fine. I suppose I don't need the 16 core processor. The 12 would be fine.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 5:59 AM

Assuming you are asking about the 2019 Mac Pro...

Memory upgrades are relatively trivial.

Storage... you can add additional drives with additional hardware (a MacPro SATA mounting bracket or a PCIe M.2 adapter card) but the OEM drive uses a proprietary Apple SSD.

GPU upgrades are also easy if you stay with Radeon, but you will need the optional Aux Power Cable Kit if you aren't using Apple's MPX. (The mid and upper tier Apple MPX modules are still worth considering for quiet operation and the additional Thunderbolt ports)

CPU is a high-risk upgrade. I'd suggest not risking a brand-new Mac Pro as a learning project, especially if the 12-core is all you need. That said, perhaps the knowledge that the CPU could be upgraded if necessary in future years is enough.

You might also consider Apple's new Mac Studio for your stated use.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 5:59 AM in response to Glowzinski

Assuming you are asking about the 2019 Mac Pro...

Memory upgrades are relatively trivial.

Storage... you can add additional drives with additional hardware (a MacPro SATA mounting bracket or a PCIe M.2 adapter card) but the OEM drive uses a proprietary Apple SSD.

GPU upgrades are also easy if you stay with Radeon, but you will need the optional Aux Power Cable Kit if you aren't using Apple's MPX. (The mid and upper tier Apple MPX modules are still worth considering for quiet operation and the additional Thunderbolt ports)

CPU is a high-risk upgrade. I'd suggest not risking a brand-new Mac Pro as a learning project, especially if the 12-core is all you need. That said, perhaps the knowledge that the CPU could be upgraded if necessary in future years is enough.

You might also consider Apple's new Mac Studio for your stated use.

Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.