Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Time Machine backups

I have a TM backup drive with the oldest bu being may-10-2021. I am running Catalina. a few weeks ago I upgraded from Catalina to Monterey and had problems so after much frustration I finally restored the Catalina backup. Now when I try to access files from before the upgrade no folders are shown. So if I'm in Documents and keep hitting the up arrow to go back in time it stops somewhere in February. The time line along the right side shows dates going all the way back but backups are only available to Feb 13. Are backups tied to system versions?

argh!

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 5:33 AM

The issue when installing Monterey is the TM will not go back to previous time. To see older backups you need to open TM then press shift-command-C which will bring your drive structure up. You can then go back in time and look for your users directory then documents folder to find the file you want.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 5:33 AM in response to coltrane58

The issue when installing Monterey is the TM will not go back to previous time. To see older backups you need to open TM then press shift-command-C which will bring your drive structure up. You can then go back in time and look for your users directory then documents folder to find the file you want.

Mar 15, 2022 4:40 AM in response to coltrane58

Okay, a little more information, I have 2 drives. The drive with the OSX on it only goes back to February. The second drive has backups back to the oldest date, May-10-2021. During the process of restoring from Monterey back to Catalina the OSX drive failed. I replaced the drive and continued to restore Catalina. I also noticed that there are no backups available for the short time the system was running Monterey.

anyone have any ideas regarding this problem?

thanks

Missing Time Machine backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.