Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C 2TB drive to be used as my Time Machine

I am trying to format a Seagate Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C 2TB drive to be used as my Time Machine (for a Mac Mini) backup drive and regular file storage drive. I formatted the drive as MAC OSExtended Journaled with Guild Partition. I selected the drive as the Time Machine. it said it needed to delete all of the information on the disk (wasn't anything there) and it reformatted the disk to APFS (Case Sensitive) and now I cannot copy any files to the drive.

I had to change drives because my original drive had an error and it would not let me save anything to it. What can I do? Any advice?

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 12:08 PM

Big Sur and Monterey expect a Time Machine drive to be formatted APFS. Even if you formatted it in the default APFS case-insensitive, Time Machine will still mount it as case-sensitive. Unlike the older HFS+ formatted Time Machine drives, there is no backups.backupd folder on the APFS TM drive and every backup is now a separate date/time stamped folder. You really do not want to intersperse anything else on that drive amongst the TM backups.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 12:08 PM in response to TheRealTimNATC

Big Sur and Monterey expect a Time Machine drive to be formatted APFS. Even if you formatted it in the default APFS case-insensitive, Time Machine will still mount it as case-sensitive. Unlike the older HFS+ formatted Time Machine drives, there is no backups.backupd folder on the APFS TM drive and every backup is now a separate date/time stamped folder. You really do not want to intersperse anything else on that drive amongst the TM backups.

Seagate Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C 2TB drive to be used as my Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.