Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Printer Stopped "filter" failed

I have 2012 MacBook Pro. Installed with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7. I'm getting a "filter" failed message on my HP Office Jet 6500 E709n Series printer. How can I fix?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 12:30 PM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2022 8:04 AM in response to Printerfilterfailed

I found a fix. I deleted all printers in my Printer & Scanner dialog box. Reset my printer to my network router. Verified it was connected. I found and launched an "Hp Smart" app from the Apple App store - it's free. I also added any driver updates from HP that was available.

Went back to the Printer & Scanner dialog box and added my printer back. I'm not techie. It was a lot of hit and miss. I'm no longer adding software updates from Apple. My laptop was purchased in 2012. A lot of programs/Applications are no longer supporting OS Catalina. Thanks for the suggested fixes.

Mar 15, 2022 3:30 PM in response to Printerfilterfailed

Unfortunately this printer has not been supported by HP since Mac OS 10.9. Catalina is all 64 bit drivers, which were not required until Catalina. So anything that only is upgraded to 10.9, will only work reliably up till 10.14 unless it took advantage of the 64 bit software available earlier. You can try to use the open source printer drivers by using the Option key to add the printer in Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Printer.

Clear all print jobs from the printer queue, and see if you can print after adding it back.

Mar 15, 2022 4:43 PM in response to Printerfilterfailed

Hi,

There is an HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update download from Apple. Something like the HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series driver version 4.2.2 mentioned in Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support could perhaps be worth a try. This may or may not work. Look upon it as an experiment. Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

HP Printer Stopped "filter" failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.