Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW MUCH SPACE SHOULD SYSTEM DATA USE IN MONTEREY? 804.25 GB IS BEING USED

I have noticed that I have less and less space on my 1TB hard drive. I have been eliminating stuff to make more room and the amount of available space isn't really changing that much. Today I discovered that System Data is using 804.25 GB of my space when I check "About This Mac" under storage.

I also noticed when I look in "About This Mac" under Overview - System Report that I have 2 entries for my Mac. These have different Mount Points. I had attached a print screen of this.

1 - Does updating to a newer version keep all the old system data on the computer?

2 - How can I free up this space?

I wondered if I should run Disk Utility or what else I could do?

Thanks for your help

Jewel5478

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 12:58 PM

It was many different things. I didn't write any of it down, because, I knew I ever wouldn't try to replicate it. It did take a long time. The first tech that I spoke with tried many things and then she transferred me to a higher level tech. My computer is right indexing to get things back in order. The phone call was well worth it so far. I did remember to get the Case # in the event there are problems that arise from what was done.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 12:58 PM in response to Keith Barkley

It was many different things. I didn't write any of it down, because, I knew I ever wouldn't try to replicate it. It did take a long time. The first tech that I spoke with tried many things and then she transferred me to a higher level tech. My computer is right indexing to get things back in order. The phone call was well worth it so far. I did remember to get the Case # in the event there are problems that arise from what was done.

Mar 16, 2022 7:07 AM in response to jewel5478

jewel5478 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/ba383648-d62d-4314-8709-d5ff6602451f
I have noticed that I have less and less space on my 1TB hard drive. I have been eliminating stuff to make more room and the amount of available space isn't really changing that much. Today I discovered that System Data is using 804.25 GB of my space when I check "About This Mac" under storage.

I also noticed when I look in "About This Mac" under Overview - System Report that I have 2 entries for my Mac. These have different Mount Points. I had attached a print screen of this.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/27464698-5511-4728-8099-dfb3b20d0ef2

1 - Does updating to a newer version keep all the old system data on the computer?

2 - How can I free up this space?

I wondered if I should run Disk Utility or what else I could do?

Thanks for your help

Jewel5478

Is there some associated issue?

< System Data is using 804.25 GB of my space when I check "About This Mac" under storage.>

in this context it is your user data.

You get a better picture from the Terminal.app copy & paste:

diskutil list internal

You would expect to see 2 volumes ever since 2019 Catalina....

Macintosh HD

Macintosh HD - Data

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

You can try running your Time Machine to clear storage

Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

more—

Empty your Trash — Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

See used and available storage space on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

User tip: "Other and What Can I Do About It ?"

What is "Other" and What Can I Do About I… - Apple Community

Try something like OmniDiskSweeper for a GUI to get a good look at itemized file size and location:

OmniDiskSweeper http://www.omnigroup.com/more

Thin local snapshots :

ref: https://eclecticlight.co/2020/04/09/where-did-all-that-free-space-go-on-my-apfs-disk/

Mar 16, 2022 10:16 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks Leroy for your help. As your reply was sort of over my head. I ended up contacting Apple Directly and 2 hours later everything has been cleared and my System Data is now at 26.5 GB (down from 802.45 GB). I now have 916.03 of usable space on my hard drive. If someone else is having this problem, I would recommend contacting Apple directly.

HOW MUCH SPACE SHOULD SYSTEM DATA USE IN MONTEREY? 804.25 GB IS BEING USED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.