You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still use Final Cut Pro 7?

I have FCP7 and don't do as much video editing as I used to but still want to use it occasionally without investing in the new software. Does anyone know if I can install an old OS, like Lion, and still install and use FCP7?

I'm considering buying an old MacBookPro just to run FCP and nothing else.

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 1:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 4:06 AM

The last version of macOS in which FCP 7 worked was Sierra, 10.12.*.

If you have the software discs, and a mac that can use a compatible OS, I don't see why not.

But if you are only editing occasionally, and have a more recent mac, you could probably do better with iMovie, or (the free version of) DaVinci Resolve - both free and working on current or recent macs.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2022 4:06 AM in response to BeachBumChris

The last version of macOS in which FCP 7 worked was Sierra, 10.12.*.

If you have the software discs, and a mac that can use a compatible OS, I don't see why not.

But if you are only editing occasionally, and have a more recent mac, you could probably do better with iMovie, or (the free version of) DaVinci Resolve - both free and working on current or recent macs.

Can I still use Final Cut Pro 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.