Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a new folder on an APFS external drive that is also used for Time Machine backups?

Can an APFS formatted external drive with Time Machine backups on it have any other type of folder (NOTE: Backups are NOT in a backuos.backupd folder, but just listed sequentially)?

Previously, I had created backups on a 4TB WD external drive from two different Macs. Each backup was in its own backups.backupd folder for each machine. I wiped the drive in order to start again, but this time the backups from my first Mac are listed on their own, with just a date/time stamp on them - no backups.backupd folder anywhere.

I want to use the drive for other files (not backup files) but Finder doesn't allow the creation of any folders at all.

Should I start again and reformat the drive as Mac Extended Journal format - which I know works?

Any explanation as to the limitations I'm experiencing and suggestions as to how to get around it?

On OS 11.6.4 Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 4:26 PM

the only way to do what you want to do would be to partition the drive into two (or more) partitions BEFORE assigning one of the partitions to TM. reason being is that otherwise, TM wants the whole drive for itself. with big sur, the only thing that can write to the TM drive is TM itself. you also need to format it as APFS because big sur requires new TM drives to be formatted as APFS.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 4:26 PM in response to travellerva

the only way to do what you want to do would be to partition the drive into two (or more) partitions BEFORE assigning one of the partitions to TM. reason being is that otherwise, TM wants the whole drive for itself. with big sur, the only thing that can write to the TM drive is TM itself. you also need to format it as APFS because big sur requires new TM drives to be formatted as APFS.

Mar 15, 2022 9:47 PM in response to travellerva

With APFS, partitions are now called containers and containers can hold multiple volumes. With TM, the APFS volume is assigned the role of Backup, and should not be used for anything other than for TM backups.

If you want to store other things on that drive, you have two choices:

1. Create an additional APFS volume in that container, or <== this would be the preferred method
  2. Create an additional container with the number of volumes you need.

Here's some "light" reading material that you may find informative:

Mar 15, 2022 6:08 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thanks for the explanation. I’m guessing the reason I had a backups.Backupd folder before was that it had been created originally on a Mac that was not running Big Sur. [although it’s strange that it then created a back up folder after I added the back up from a Big Sur machine.]

I hadn’t thought of the option of partitioning the disc beforehand. Even though that’s a little constraining because I’m not sure of the space I’d like to allocate to backups and other files, I think I can live with that.

Thanks for your explanation and advice.

How do I create a new folder on an APFS external drive that is also used for Time Machine backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.