Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused about battery health

What does the green dots/symbols, mean on the graph for your battery levee? I've always been wondering what are the green dots mean. If anybody know what they are please let me know thanks!

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 7:25 PM

Charging to 100% is not “bad”. Leaving a battery at 100% for a long time can reduce its life somewhat, but, as the phone is always using energy it doesn’t stay there for long. Trying to micromanage the battery doesn’t do anything useful.

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 7:25 PM in response to BrazzyGazzy

Charging to 100% is not “bad”. Leaving a battery at 100% for a long time can reduce its life somewhat, but, as the phone is always using energy it doesn’t stay there for long. Trying to micromanage the battery doesn’t do anything useful.

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates.

Mar 15, 2022 7:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you, last question I have optimized batter charging on but when my phone is 20% I charge it up to 80 - 85% is that a good charge period? Usually, I charge it up to that range; because of charging my phone fully to 100 percent is bad. With optimized charging I avoid charging it to 100% of concerns that my battery would be damaged. Don't know if that's true or hot l

Confused about battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.