Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to delete documents off of desktop, but not out of Finder

I want to delete documents off of desktop, but not out of Finder.

When I try putting the file back into finder it will not let me ... the document has a O with a line .

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 11:17 AM

You can ask Finder to open an additional Window WITHOUT closing the other one.

File > New Finder Window

This can allow you to drag and drop from one window to another.

When you drag-and-drop between windows on the SAME drive, the file will be Moved (by changing its pointers in the directory, NOT by copying followed by deleting)..

When you drag-and-drop between windows on different Drives, the file will be duplicated at the new location by default. The original will remain.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 11:17 AM in response to Woofidy

You can ask Finder to open an additional Window WITHOUT closing the other one.

File > New Finder Window

This can allow you to drag and drop from one window to another.

When you drag-and-drop between windows on the SAME drive, the file will be Moved (by changing its pointers in the directory, NOT by copying followed by deleting)..

When you drag-and-drop between windows on different Drives, the file will be duplicated at the new location by default. The original will remain.

Mar 16, 2022 11:08 AM in response to Woofidy

All you need to do is drag and drop them into another folder not on your desktop. Maybe your Documents folder. Then send to Trash the ones left on the desktop

Finder is a sort of a window into your computer. Removing it from Finder is same as trashing it. What you do is move files to the places where you want to see them. Unless you hide them, they will always be visible by Finder somewhere. That's what finder does among other things ... lets you see files and folders all over your Mac.

Mar 16, 2022 12:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

"The Desktop" is a special way of presenting the contents of one magic folder, whose name is exactly Desktop.

if you would like to view those files sorted in a different way, you can open that folder is your Userid named Desktop, select the presentation by list, by tiered list, or other. in list view, you can sort by name, by date, or any other attribute by clicking on the column heading.

I want to delete documents off of desktop, but not out of Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.