Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine fine tuning?

I would like to remove the hourly backups from occurring on Time Machine leaving only the daily and weekly backups occurring. Is this possible or do I need to coerce Apple to add this in a future version?

I have a mini MAC running MacOS Monterey (12.2.1)

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 12:54 PM

They have never added that feature. You have to find a third party product for that.

It was designed to be configurationless so it is simple to use. If you want to manage your backups, you would be better off finding another solution than waiting for Apple to add a feature that makes it more difficult to use.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 12:54 PM in response to BLongPA

They have never added that feature. You have to find a third party product for that.

It was designed to be configurationless so it is simple to use. If you want to manage your backups, you would be better off finding another solution than waiting for Apple to add a feature that makes it more difficult to use.

Mar 16, 2022 1:27 PM in response to BLongPA

Welcome, BLongPA, to Apple Support Communities!

In addition to the answer given by Barney-15E, Time Machine actually performs file-level backups even more often than hourly.

I have actually taken advantage of this feature when I was modifying a file, and found that I wanted to make different choices in my modifications, in order to create a different “branch” of the file. (I had to go “back in time” over several minutes, in order to find the version I wanted to “branch off from”.)

Of course, your “mileage” will vary.

Time Machine fine tuning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.