Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XProtect identified as Trojan. Really???

Hi all,

I started a virus scan on my new Macbook Pro with 12.3 Monterey and was surprised immediately by that the Apple's protection service, XProtect, was detected as infected with Trojan.OSX.Gen by ClamXAV.

Is this possible, or is it a false positive?

If it is true, should I wipe everything out or just delete the core file?

I reinstalled the system, and this still came out as infected.

Let me know if you have a similar experience or info on this.

Thanks!

Miso

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 2:40 AM

False positive and according to their Site they support ClamXAV 3 requires a Mac running macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or newer.

This leaving a lot of room between Yosemite Released October 16, 2014 and Monterey Released Oct 2021

Added if using a Virus Scanner - Do Not

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2022 2:40 AM in response to Miso2

False positive and according to their Site they support ClamXAV 3 requires a Mac running macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or newer.

This leaving a lot of room between Yosemite Released October 16, 2014 and Monterey Released Oct 2021

Added if using a Virus Scanner - Do Not

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

XProtect identified as Trojan. Really???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.