Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garmin to New M1 apple processor

seen the queries about this, has anyone got a solution or is it a waiting gam or buy an old applemac or windows machine

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 6:24 AM

waiting for WHAT?

Apple-Silicon M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max:

Apple says every well-behaved ordinary Application (that does not use Virtualization) will run on Apple-Silicon. It will use Rosetta emulation to translate the Intel binary to M1-binary.

Your Intel Apps will run and not crash while being executed on a completely different processor than the one the developer used. This is a truly remarkable feature.

It runs, and you can get your work done, which is what Apple promised and delivered.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2022 6:24 AM in response to grahamfrompenrith

waiting for WHAT?

Apple-Silicon M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max:

Apple says every well-behaved ordinary Application (that does not use Virtualization) will run on Apple-Silicon. It will use Rosetta emulation to translate the Intel binary to M1-binary.

Your Intel Apps will run and not crash while being executed on a completely different processor than the one the developer used. This is a truly remarkable feature.

It runs, and you can get your work done, which is what Apple promised and delivered.

Mar 18, 2022 11:53 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

this is my graphic from Wikipedia to keep track of USB versions and connectors. But all the more modern ones should be backward-compatible, unless the cables are not working right:

as an additional reasonableness check, when you plug in the cable. you should see an indication of what device is seen at:

 menu > about This Mac > (system report) > USB

Mar 18, 2022 10:30 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I wasn't criticising Apple to be honest I have been trying to get garmin to sort this out but nothing so far. Therefore I am waiting for garmin to come up with a solution or buy another second hand laptop with older processor for applemac or windows . I had wondered if anyone who had raised this previously had got an answer from whatever source. Garmin express and garmin basecamp will not run/link with the sat nav on the new M1 pro processor whatever your slightly patronising response to me states

Mar 18, 2022 11:08 AM in response to grahamfrompenrith

Your initial post does not even contain a statement of what your perceived problem with this stuff IS. So a response explains what Rosetta is and how every other Intel software works is not intended to be patronizing -- it merely explains -- because perhaps you did not know that it is supposed to be working fine.

The words I posted were from a previous response I wrote for a completely different purpose, and saved in a note to explain how rosetta emulation works.

If you found my response "slightly patronizing" It think that is something you imagined, not something inherent in what I wrote.

Mar 18, 2022 11:18 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Fair enough I am happy that you were trying to respond positively thank you

the issue is that the new Apple MacBook with the amazing new processor does not recognise that I am trying to link my sat nav with it. When I try and get it to search for the sat nav it will search but not find it. This is when I open garmin express or basecamp. In the past I would get an icon on the desk top showing garmin. As said my previous Apple Mac book from 2016 was able to find my sat nav.

garmin customer service have been no help so far

regards Graham

Mar 18, 2022 11:54 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I did wonder that but this is the set up I used for previous MacBook I also have tried 3 other cables along with buying a cable with micro usb straight to usb4 and nothing works

garmin need to up there game and make it compatible but think I will be buying a second laptop to keep being able to update etc till they solve it

best Graham

Garmin to New M1 apple processor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.