You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume hash mismatch, cannot reinstall MacOS

There are a few threads on this out there on the volume hash mismatch issue, and some media articles, but no apparent solutions.

I have a pair of 2019 16" MBPs, identical configurations except for the color. One upgraded to Monterey with no issues, the other failed updates several times (update could not be verified, etc.), safe mode didn't work, was finally able to update to 12.2 via Internet Recovery but even that took a few tries.

After the update, I have experienced frequent kernel panics and occasionally a notification, "Volume Hash Mismatch: Hash mismatch detected on volume disk1s1. macOS should be reinstalled on this volume." The system is generally unstable – Safari will occasionally stop working, apps will unexpectedly quit (MS365 apps, but also system apps like Preview). In particular MS Teams is very unstable.

I am unable to update or reinstall macOS. I have tried Safe Mode and Recovery Mode, all fail. The current error I see in a normal boot or Safe Mode is, "Failed to personalize the software update. Please try again." Trying via Recovery Mode, I see "An error occurred loading the update."

Running Disk First Aid from Recovery Mode fails for Macintosh HD - Data:

The other volumes complete successfully.

The only thing I have not yet done is try from a bootable installer (although I just prepared one). I plan to try the Genius Bar soon, but any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 6:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 10:26 AM

The one thing I did not do that the Genius Bar rep did was run Apple Diagnostics. RAM bank 0 is defective. Bad RAM explains the hash issues and general instability. Also the issue with Teams, which is a memory suck to begin with and in retrospect I usually had it crash when I was multitasking during a Teams video call (overtasking the problematic RAM).

Also means the "scorched earth" approach using the bootable installer flash drive I made yesterday would not have solved the problem, which is what has been reported elsewhere.

The downside is that the logic board replacement takes 3-5 days, and I leave for a conference before that. I've decided to turn lemons into lemonade and buy a 16" M1 Pro, let Apple fix the Intel Mac and keep it as a backup.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2022 10:26 AM in response to PRP_53

The one thing I did not do that the Genius Bar rep did was run Apple Diagnostics. RAM bank 0 is defective. Bad RAM explains the hash issues and general instability. Also the issue with Teams, which is a memory suck to begin with and in retrospect I usually had it crash when I was multitasking during a Teams video call (overtasking the problematic RAM).

Also means the "scorched earth" approach using the bootable installer flash drive I made yesterday would not have solved the problem, which is what has been reported elsewhere.

The downside is that the logic board replacement takes 3-5 days, and I leave for a conference before that. I've decided to turn lemons into lemonade and buy a 16" M1 Pro, let Apple fix the Intel Mac and keep it as a backup.

Mar 17, 2022 8:03 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Like yourself, have seen and read some on this issue but not experienced it myself.

In most cases the other site suggest the " Scorched Earth " approach but no certainty the underlining issue(s) will not return.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Monterey would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Monterey.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer.

About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map.

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Volume hash mismatch, cannot reinstall MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.