Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps keep automatically hiding/minimizing

My 2020 MacBook Air running macOS Monterey started behaving strangely today.

Every time I open a new app from the Dock, any running apps are automatically hidden/minimized. I have to use the "show all" command in the menu bar to bring up the other running apps again. I don't want this to happen.

How do I stop this from happening? I would like all the apps I have chosen to open to remain visible on the desktop unless I manually choose to hide/minimize an app (this is how my Mac used to behave).

Here is a gif of what I mean. . . https://cln.sh/XOulGy

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 4:07 PM

I figured it out! I reset the Dock to it’s default settings using the following command in terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.dock; killall Dock

Still don’t know what caused the issue, but at least it’s resolved. Thanks for the help!

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 18, 2022 1:52 PM in response to MarcStDennis

Hi there Marc,

While we were unable to load that GIF you sent, we certainly want to help get your windows acting as intended.

By default, this shouldn't occur, so we wanted to confirm if you recall changing any settings regarding this around the time the issue first began?

The latest version is macOS Monterey 12.3. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. This link will show how to first back up, then Update macOS on Mac.

If you haven't yet tried one since this began to occur, we recommend a restart. Check out the section 'Restart' here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

Cheers!

Mar 19, 2022 3:22 PM in response to bruno75

Hi Bruno. Thanks for your response.

I don't recall changing any settings that would cause this issue.

I am running macOS Monterey 12.3.

Here is a list of the troubleshooting steps I have taken (all unsuccessful):

> Restart

> Closed all third party apps

> Booted in safe mode

> Removed all login items

> Reinstalled the OS

> Created a new test user to try and recreate the issue. This was a little more successful as the issue did not persist when I logged into the test user account. I guess I could transfer everything over to the test user account and make it my primary account, but I am hoping for a solution that doesn't require this.

Mar 19, 2022 4:12 PM in response to MarcStDennis

Hi MarcStDennis,

We would like to have you check a setting. If you go to Apple Menu () > System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar, do you have "Minis windows into application icon" selected? If so, would you mind deselecting this to see if that changes the behavior you're experiencing?

If the issue persists, you might consider reaching out to Apple Support for additional guidance. You. can reach them at Get Support.

Best regards.

Apps keep automatically hiding/minimizing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.