Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows on MAC

Will virtual machine support like bootcamp come to M1 Mac? Other virtual machines are problematic.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 7:08 AM

10 replies

Mar 19, 2022 1:18 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

John,

An article from 2021-09 regarding Microsoft's position (at that time) on Windows 11 ARM being unsupported on bare metal Apple Silicon, or via virtualization on same..

VikingOSX, John Whittaker is a proponent of “the M1 experience in Windows 11", and is well aware of the beta status of Windows for ARM64 systems on Apple silicon from previous discussions around here in ASC. In those previous discussions, folks have provided links to public statements and to press reports on the topic akin to what you have just posted, too. Some of those other threads:

how to Install windows 10 to MacBook Air … - Apple Community

I bought a macbook pro 14' 2021 model. Ho… - Apple Community

…among various other threads.

Should (if? when?) Redmond announce qualification and support and purchasable part numbers for versions of Windows 11 for Apple silicon M1 and such, I’m we’ll all hear about it. Presently, all eight of the Arm AArch64 ARMv8 processors qualified for Windows 11 Arm are from Qualcomm:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-qualcomm-processors

Until then, Windows 11 on Arm is an “Insider” option, at best.

Mar 19, 2022 9:49 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:
Microsoft does not license a version of Windows that will run on an M1 based Mac.

Though one needs to be aware that they certainly appear to do so, this being from my MacBook Air 10,1.

Also the name of the current ARM installation download i.e.

"22000.318.211104-1236.co_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTCONSUMER_RET_A64FRE_en-us"

implies a Release version.

Having said that, to my knowledge, Microsoft have never actually supported Windows on Mac.

Mar 19, 2022 12:04 PM in response to KiltedTim

Maybe, but it is open to the public (not Windows Insiders) and there is no indication of this in the Microsoft License Software Terms in the System -> About -> Microsoft Software Licensing Terms. Section 2a: "Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with the terms and restrictions contained in this agreement." Section 2b: "...In this agreement, “device” means a local hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software.

I would expect the restrictions to be found under 2c Restrictions.

Section 5: "You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device."

Result in Microsoft account, excluding the serial number:

As you are familiar with these licensing terms of OS Build 10.0.22000.556, could you point me to the words that indicate I can only use it for development and testing. So far as I can see, the text is the same for the Intel Mac

Many thanks in advance.

Mar 19, 2022 2:12 PM in response to MrHoffman

O.K., though I stress that Windows Insider is not involved here in any way and I am only aware of the Beta status of the system from Apple user forums, and will remain unconvinced of this until I see tangible evidence (not provided here or elsewhere). I accept that Microsoft are being less than honest in the Activation procedure. I am more than a little surprised that they will activate a "Parallels ARM Virtual Machine", though admittedly no current Mac is capable of running Windows 11. I am not a "proponent" of anything to do with computers, I merely state what I have found to be a solution to a problem.

Windows on MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.