Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell P2422HE display -- downstream USB-A ports on the monitor do not function.

I have just purchased a Dell monitor model P2422HE.

I have connected to the monitor via the USB-C cable provided.

The display extends correctly - no problems.

The MacBook Pro (13-inch 2019 Running Monterey 12.2.1) receives power correctly.

None of the downstream USB-A ports on the monitor function.

I have rebooted computer and monitor

I have set the Personalisation Settings for USB Power to "Off in Off Mode"

I have tried both USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro (both do video, but not USB-A passthru)

I have confirmed that the USB-A cables and devices work (attached to USB-C Port extender attached to MacBook Pro)

This isn't a showstopper, but it would be really nice to have all of my USB-A devices connected to my monitor and just plug in the monitor USB-C cable and go.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Troy

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 10:21 AM

None of the downstream USB-A ports on the monitor function.

With all of the troubleshooting you have done, it may be a problem of the monitor not having the capability? Have you checked with Dell support?

2 replies

Mar 21, 2022 4:02 AM in response to tyzer007

Update: (sort of) resolved.

I had my mouse transmitter plugged into my keyboard, and the keyboard plugged into the monitor.

When I plugged both in independently it worked.

I had my headset and camera plugged into a port extender.

When I plugged both in independently it worked.

Short version - the monitor does not support USB-A Daisy Chaining. (USB-A standard does allow you to connect multiple USB-A port extenders together up to a total of 128 USB devices <where each hub is also a device> https://electronicguidebook.com/how-many-usb-hubs-can-you-daisy-chain/ ) - but the P2422HE from Dell does not support this from my experience.

Hope this is helpful for someone else!

Troy

Dell P2422HE display -- downstream USB-A ports on the monitor do not function.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.