Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Mac OS Monterey will slow my iMac?

I have an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017). It is compatible with Monterey but is working perfectly with Big Sur. BUT,

I understood that some functions in Monterey will work only with M1 chip. Is OS Monterey though will slow my iMac? Thanks for your help.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 8:33 AM

We have 5 Macs all with Intel chips. Our experience is Monterey runs slightly better the Big Sur on all of them. I have no metrics to verify that other than my old Late 2015 iMac 21.5" Retina with a Samsung EVO 860 SSD boots from cold to the login screen in 22 to 25 seconds.

The other four have similar boot times.

With Monterey, it's not all about the features and speed, there is the element of increased security to consider. For that, I've have gladly relinquished a few seconds at start up.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2022 8:33 AM in response to rami.k

We have 5 Macs all with Intel chips. Our experience is Monterey runs slightly better the Big Sur on all of them. I have no metrics to verify that other than my old Late 2015 iMac 21.5" Retina with a Samsung EVO 860 SSD boots from cold to the login screen in 22 to 25 seconds.

The other four have similar boot times.

With Monterey, it's not all about the features and speed, there is the element of increased security to consider. For that, I've have gladly relinquished a few seconds at start up.

Is Mac OS Monterey will slow my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.