Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to restore individual email messages from Apple Mail client

I do not use servers to hold my email; it is downloaded and then removed from servers. My work requires strict confidentiality. I use both Exchange and POP accounts and one or two IMAP accounts.

I use Apple’s Mail client, exclusively - even for Exchange.

In trying to restore a few individual email messages, the “Enter Time Machine” directive did not work as expected or as it previously did. I had noted this before but my frustration has reached the point of my having to report this now.

Rather than being able to go to a particular email mailbox, go into Time Machine, and see the variations in time, invoking Time Machine would only go to finder. This is not what used to happen nor was it expected.

Instead of a VERY simple and easily understood restoration of missing email messages, I had to go into ~/Library/Mail/V9/ and try to figure out the incomprehensibly and arbitrarily named folder to try to figure out which went with which. I restored that folder and the MailData folders to recover to where I needed to be.

This is beyond the pale. Apple’s assumption here that people keep their email messages elsewhere is completely unreasonable, significantly reduces or constrains how people use their Macs.

My Macintosh (3 of them) and my iPhone and my iPad, while supporting my personal life, are also indispensable parts of my professional life and work. Apple should keep this in mind when architecting such capabilities or, equally as important, eliminating them - especially without adequate warning!

Please “restore” this capability - restoring individual email messages!!!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 2:01 PM

This is a community forum comprised of Apple customers helping Apple customers. Apple merely hosts the discussions and there are some Apple employees acting as moderators. But this is not the correct place to send feed back to Apple.

You can submit feedback to Apple here:

Feedback - Mail - Apple and here Feedback - Time Machine - Apple

Most of the support you will find here will be for retail consumers using Apple products for personal use. When it comes to business, things become considerably more complex. Since you are dealing with highly confidential business email, you should first consult with your companies IT department to find solutions to safely archive your email. There are many solutions available.

If you do not have the company IT resources or you work for yourself, you can seek assistance from the Apple Consultant network: https://consultants.apple.com/us/

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2022 2:01 PM in response to Armando Stettner

This is a community forum comprised of Apple customers helping Apple customers. Apple merely hosts the discussions and there are some Apple employees acting as moderators. But this is not the correct place to send feed back to Apple.

You can submit feedback to Apple here:

Feedback - Mail - Apple and here Feedback - Time Machine - Apple

Most of the support you will find here will be for retail consumers using Apple products for personal use. When it comes to business, things become considerably more complex. Since you are dealing with highly confidential business email, you should first consult with your companies IT department to find solutions to safely archive your email. There are many solutions available.

If you do not have the company IT resources or you work for yourself, you can seek assistance from the Apple Consultant network: https://consultants.apple.com/us/

Need to restore individual email messages from Apple Mail client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.