Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal battery not detected, can only power on with charger

About a month ago, my Macbook Pro started to face issues where it would be unable to power on without a charger attached to it. When the Macbook Pro was powered on, an x mark would appear over the battery icon and an app I had installed would indicate that there was no internal battery. The entire device would also start moving at a snail's pace making it extremely difficult to use.

I was going to replace the Macbook Pro a week ago, but it suddenly started working again without the need for a charger for no explainable reason. However, just a few days ago, the same issues mentioned earlier started to appear again. Is there any way to resolve this issue permanently?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 2:44 PM

Well, at this point, especially if you were planning on replacing it, you're pretty much done. On the other hand, if you wish to continue using this notebook, then I would suggest that you make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them take a look and provide you with your options. Alternatively, you can contact Apple Support directly, by using the "Get Support" link in the upper right-hand side of this forum's web page.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2022 2:44 PM in response to JianGeGe

Well, at this point, especially if you were planning on replacing it, you're pretty much done. On the other hand, if you wish to continue using this notebook, then I would suggest that you make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them take a look and provide you with your options. Alternatively, you can contact Apple Support directly, by using the "Get Support" link in the upper right-hand side of this forum's web page.

Mar 20, 2022 2:21 PM in response to JianGeGe

I suggest starting with the following Support article: Check the condition of your Mac notebook’s battery - Apple Support

Is it reporting "Normal" or "Service recommended?"

This article may prove helpful, as well: What is the Battery Status menu on Mac? - Apple Support

One excellent third-party app you may want to consider using is coconutBattery. It provides a significant amount of detail on battery health.

Mar 20, 2022 2:19 PM in response to JianGeGe

It sounds like an intermittent problem. But it also sounds like a significant battery issue. If you battery capacity is at 80% or below, Apple advises it's time to replace it. But even if it's above 80%, you're having either battery issues or charging circuitry problems. Since both are hardware issues, Apples needs to do a hands-on evaluation.

Internal battery not detected, can only power on with charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.