Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble charging phone

My I phone won’t charge. When I plug in the charger it is just showing the red bar but won’t go any further. Can my charging port be broken or the cable!?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 6:11 PM

Cmsc13 wrote:
Yes it does!! So eventually it should go on after some time? Just leave it charging?

It only looks like that when connected to an external power source. If there's something left in the battery but it's not connected to power, it will look like that but with a lightning symbol and an image of the end of a Lightning cable/connector.

Not sure what to say other than try it and see what happens. Other than that, you might try getting a diagnostic at an Apple Store. I think they have means to determine if the battery is completely gone or not. Perhaps even if the hardware is bad.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2022 6:11 PM in response to Cmsc13

Cmsc13 wrote:
Yes it does!! So eventually it should go on after some time? Just leave it charging?

It only looks like that when connected to an external power source. If there's something left in the battery but it's not connected to power, it will look like that but with a lightning symbol and an image of the end of a Lightning cable/connector.

Not sure what to say other than try it and see what happens. Other than that, you might try getting a diagnostic at an Apple Store. I think they have means to determine if the battery is completely gone or not. Perhaps even if the hardware is bad.

Mar 20, 2022 5:24 PM in response to Cmsc13

Does it look like this?

If that's the case, it might take a while. That's usually what it looks like after it's gone into auto shutdown. It usually needs to charge up to maybe 10% before it will turn on. But if the battery is completely dead it won't get to that point and you'll be kind of stuck there.

My parents had an iPhone that they thought was dead, but I left it charging for about a half hour and it finally turned on. You might just try waiting, but otherwise it could just be a completely dead battery.

Having trouble charging phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.