Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text message - bell with line through it

Hi there, hoping someone can help. I've read other advice about what this means (notifications are on), is that for the person receiving or sending them? I have this next to only one person in my text messages. I don't know why. I didn't do anything differently. Does it mean THEY have notifications on??

Hope someone can help as I'm baffled.

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 7:05 PM

I am texting and only on one text I have a bell with a slash now I get no notifications. How do you remove it so I get notifications. The symbol showed for the first time yesterday

14 replies

Mar 20, 2022 9:20 PM in response to Bellai

On your iPhone, the Bell with a line through it means that the notifications from that person are muted. When that person sends you a text message then you will not hear any sounds/notifications.

To receive notifications when a text message has been sent from this person, open the Messages app and open the conversation list. Slide the conversation in question to the LEFT and tap on the Bell icon. This will set the notifications to ON from that person.

Axel F.

Jul 1, 2022 4:36 AM in response to Dale05dd

Slide to the left until you see the actions and tap on the bell symbol to enable notifications for that sender. The bell with the slash symbol disappears.

Text with the bell-with-a-slash-through-it symbol, indicating that notifications are silenced for that sender:

The same text slid to the left so the actions are showing:

Afterward tapping the bell icon to enable notifications from that sender, the same text without the bell-with-a-slash-through-it symbol, indicating that notifications are no longer silenced for that sender:

Apr 24, 2022 5:01 AM in response to Hard Core Hiker

On your iPhone, the Bell with a line through it means that the notifications from that person are muted. When that person sends you a text message then you will not hear any sounds/notifications.

To receive notifications when a text message has been sent from this person, open the Messages app and open the conversation list. Slide the conversation in question to the LEFT and tap on the Bell icon. This will set the notifications to ON from that person.

Axel F.

Jun 21, 2022 6:23 PM in response to bibli.ub

It makes perfect sense. The icon describes the action that will occur when you tap it.

The icon showing the bell with the slash through it, means that the notification will be silenced when you tap that icon.

The icon showing the bell without the slash through it means that the notification will be activated when you tap that icon.

Text message - bell with line through it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.