Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I pass hi-res audio through my HDMI port

Hi,

I recently bought (used) a Mac Mini M1 9,1.

It is my first Mac (even NUC) to refuse to play 192kHz/24bit audio through HDMI.

I run Monterey 12.2.1 and I connect it to my Marantz SR5014 AVR through HDMI (18Gbps Audioquest blueberry cable). It usually plays headless (aka no monitor) but the Audio Midi Setup still only reports 48kHz/24bit as the maximum sample rate.

While playing music I never have a display/monitor connected.

1. Is it a hardware or software constraint? Can I simply add the really supported resolutions to a config file and move on?
  2. Is there a way to make it understand I only want audio to play through HDMI at any given time or switch between the two?
  3. Is there a workaround to play hi res audio one way or another (thunderbolt or otherwise) through HDMI?
  4. Can I force hi res audio to pass through the connection and bypass whatever CRAP the OS is doing to the signal?

Thanks

Stefanos

Mac mini, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 2:59 PM

I found a workaround

It seems that the constraint is indeed software and most specifically the built in output. As mac mini DAC can only do 24/48, it presumes the HDMI input is equal!

Solution:

1. Install BlackHole, 2ch as this was my main focus.
  2. Create an aggregate audio device https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole/wiki/Aggregate-Device
  3. Add all three devices: default (mac mini speakers for me)
  4. Select AVR first, then select Blackhole
  5. Set Blackhole as the clock source at the desired output sampling rate - 96kHz in this test. I wanted at all costs to avoid resampling
  6. Select Blackhole as the output for your app. In my case Amazon Music.
  7. Enjoy bit perfect playback

For some reason when everything in audio goes quality Apple has dropped sound quality to junk: They first removed S/PDIF optical out from MBPs (scrapping my near field monitors this way), now they break HDMI Audio.

Apple seem to be fixating on lost battles like "3D Audio" and "immersive audio" for portable devices that are inherently bottom tier and breaking real hi-end audio such as bit-perfect reproduction etc.

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 2:59 PM in response to informedandarrogant

I found a workaround

It seems that the constraint is indeed software and most specifically the built in output. As mac mini DAC can only do 24/48, it presumes the HDMI input is equal!

Solution:

1. Install BlackHole, 2ch as this was my main focus.
  2. Create an aggregate audio device https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole/wiki/Aggregate-Device
  3. Add all three devices: default (mac mini speakers for me)
  4. Select AVR first, then select Blackhole
  5. Set Blackhole as the clock source at the desired output sampling rate - 96kHz in this test. I wanted at all costs to avoid resampling
  6. Select Blackhole as the output for your app. In my case Amazon Music.
  7. Enjoy bit perfect playback

For some reason when everything in audio goes quality Apple has dropped sound quality to junk: They first removed S/PDIF optical out from MBPs (scrapping my near field monitors this way), now they break HDMI Audio.

Apple seem to be fixating on lost battles like "3D Audio" and "immersive audio" for portable devices that are inherently bottom tier and breaking real hi-end audio such as bit-perfect reproduction etc.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mar 22, 2022 12:23 PM in response to informedandarrogant

Ubuntu/Mint/Windows etc. are n/a to your issue with macOS. But you’re correct stating that macOS is blocking hires audio-only in excess of 48Hz via HDMI to your Marantz. That’s by design, not a bug. I’m not here to defend or offend Apple for its design choices except to state that they’re free to make them. Especially since there’s no protocol issue with their HDMI implementation (since the blocking is occurring at a higher level).

You can feedback your disappointment via Product Feedback - Apple, but be aware that since these are conscious decisions at the product/design level, a satisfactory resolution to your issue is unlikely.

In short, there’s is no workaround or bug-fix that will IMO make your intended configuration using Marantz HDMI work, unfortunately.

Mar 22, 2022 10:28 AM in response to hcsitas

Hi again and thanks for the attention.

The same occurs with ARC enabled and disabled as well as headed and headless.

If it is any help, I attach a screenshot of the reported format/resolutions reported by audio midi setup.

As you can see the OS recognizes the avr just fine, even the name, recognizes the 7.1 capabilities (8ch) and even reports some absurd resolutions.

It still doesn't recognize the 2-channel PCM ones.

Also, I do not accept the premise that Marantz is to blame as HDMI is an open (sort-off) protocol and both linux and even hateful windows recognize it just fine.

Apple should care for its customers and implement the HDMI to its fullest whether Marantz mentions it by name. Again, it is not a USB connection but an HDMI connection which is a UNIVERSAL and VENDOR AGNOSTIC protocol!

Mar 22, 2022 12:25 PM in response to informedandarrogant

To prove a point, this is how Monterey (same OS!) reports the same AVR with no other change when connected on my 15" 2018 MacBook Pro:

It is obviously some SERIOUS CRAP going on somewhere between the M1 processor, Monterey and the whole closed-source Apple ecosystem that denies me proper playback.

So again I ask why OH WHY has Apple removed this capability from this machine with neither properly specing it nor reasonably managing it?

I take it as a really crappy behavior vis-a-vis us long time customers (since core 2 duo MBP 15" this is my 7th or 8th mac) that trusted Apple silicon.

Mar 22, 2022 7:55 AM in response to hcsitas

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

I mostly use Amazon music but it is irrelevant since the problem lies in Audio Midi Setup aka how the OS reports on the capabilities of the output.

Also, yes I tried headed as well. Same.

The problem lies in the fact that the OS does not report the HDMI port as 192/24 capable, not other parts of the system.

For instance I play 96/24 over USB to my Hegel H80 from the same software and system.

Does anyone at Apple even care to solve this issue? I presume there is a config file I can tamper with to force the resolution. That is the info I am looking for.

Mar 22, 2022 9:50 AM in response to informedandarrogant

When you tried headed was the HDMI eARCed to the Marantz? Separately, there’s no was to “hack” this to work, especially since Marantz makes no mention of Apple compatibility. Until they care, nobody at Apple cares. That said, what’s needed is for the Mac to recognize what it’s connected to, headed eARC just might do the trick. Give it a shot?

Mar 22, 2022 11:05 AM in response to informedandarrogant

That projector isn’t eARC capable. It’s also not showing up on your screenshots. So I’m not sure what you meant by “ARC enabled and disabled”.

Irrespective, since you don’t care for a TV and HDMI won’t split audio without a capable TV, the HDMI route is not gonna work full-blown for audio only. Your Marantz has a USB input - have you tried that?

Mar 22, 2022 12:04 PM in response to hcsitas

Marantz menu has an option to enable/disable ARC.

In any case, I still do not see your point.

The AVR currently handles audio playback whether or not I connect an output to the AVR. It reports itself to MacOS along with the greyed-out 192/24 capability it has. My problem is that MacOS blocks all resolutions above 24/48 that ARE reported in Audio Midi Setup.

Using my NUC board I have successfully output 192/24 over HDMI in Ubuntu and Mint while retaining the rest of the components identical. It figures then that it has something to do with core audio implementation rather than the AVR/Projector or other components.

Regarding the USB port, it is a front panel USB A connector, intended for smartphone cable/usb stick. I already own an Audioquest Forest USB B to A and do not wish to purchase another 100$ USB cable. I do not even own an A to A cable to test your idea! Just to say, USB cables make a HUGE difference to sound, repeatedly confirmed in blind A/B tests.

I still don't understand why the OS does not allow its apparent monitor -the AVR- to receive the audio in the resolutions it has already identified as available -up to 768kHZ!!!- nor what the "encoded digital audio" is supposed to mean.

To shift the focus, how can I transmit "encoded digital audio" at any reported available resolution?

Thanks

How can I pass hi-res audio through my HDMI port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.