Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk storage low. What can I get rid of

I need to retrieve some space on my HD so I can 1) install OS upgrades and 2) have some breathing room. What are some files buried in the OS that I can get rid of? TIA

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 10:44 AM

This may help.Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple SupportIf you are using Time Machine< you may want to delete the snapshots stored on your computer.https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/77372-how-to-delete-time-machine-local-snapshots/

10 replies

Mar 23, 2022 8:03 AM in response to 1502stark

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Mar 22, 2022 4:26 PM in response to 1502stark

You could start up in safe node, which is slow. But it will clean cache files.https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/how-use-mac-safe-mode-3623521/ Some system log file can be deleted, but that is not big gain in space. Anything deleted in you library system folder could cause problems as most of it is part of your operating system. If you have deleted third party apps or programs by deleting just the main app or program will leave other files spread thru your operating system. Always look for an uninstaller in the app or look up the best way to fully uninstall. Omnidisksweeper can help find files. but be careful how you use it.https://www.omnigroup.com/more

Mar 23, 2022 8:46 AM in response to 1502stark

If I read between the lines - think the computer may have the tiny 128 GB Internal SSD ?

If that be the case - IMHO this size SSD should have never been made available at time of Purchase.

No matter how clean the operating system is - it will be very difficult to keep the suggested 15 % to 20 % of the Total Drive Capacity as Empty Space for normal and good operations.

This will be compounded by the possible upgrades from several earlier versions of macOS to current version Mojave .

Possible workaround, but do not attempt if not certain one what's the newest Qualifying version of macOS for this computer.

It would involve a Scratch Earth approach and even after that, the 15% to 20% Empty Space is going be a challenge

Disk storage low. What can I get rid of

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.